Never enough usb ports

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NIPRING, Feb 19, 2008.

1. NIPRING macrumors 6502

I learned today that the video ipods no longer support firewire :(. All my usb ports are occupied (on the mini and the mini stack) and hardly any firewire port, so i thought i was being smart by buying a firewire ipod sync cable, you know, free up a port...damn. I get tired of reaching behind and doing musical usb ports.

bill

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

3. niemo810 macrumors member

Yeah just buy a hub... they're reasonably priced, and if you look hard enough you can find one with a mail-in-rebate. I bought a powered 7 port USB/media card reader for $7 after MIR.

4. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

How many USB doodads do you absolutely need to have plugged in full-time? I can understand the keyboard, a hard drive, and maybe a printer if you're printing a few hundred pages per day. An iPod only needs to be plugged in a couple hours a day max. What else do you use 8+ hours a day? I bought a $15 4-port USB hub that is the size of my 1st gen iPod Shuffle and I've never needed another USB port, even with my USB MIDI controller, Logic dongle, and external hard drive.

5. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

The hub I recommend is the Kensington Domehub. Make sure to get the powered version.

The hub is specifically weighted so devices won't jerk it off your desk / table. Well, if portability is your main concern, don't get this hub. But if you want a good desktop hub, I very much recommend it. Just search for it on amazon and take a look at the reviews for confirmation.