Never ever EVER EVER AGAIN!!!!!

Schmange

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
I download Lion. Install it. Restart.
And .... I get a screen saying I need to restart again.

Numerous tries later I figure I'll try and hold the shift key down.
That seems to kinda work. I get a progress bar and things seem to be loading.

Now... there's a startup screen with three choices.... backup disk.... (??? I don't have a backup disk), and two other choices that don't match my startup drive.

I pick one of em, and my customized desktop, the dock... all my applications and basically everything is gone. 2 of my hard drives won't even show up.
The drive that's working won't let me access anything because I don't have the right 'privelages'.... even though it's my friggin computer....

Long story short.... my entire setup is gone and my computer is screwed until I can find a way to revert back to Snow Leopard.

Advice: DON'T BUY IT!!!!

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Now... there's a startup screen with three choices.... backup disk.... (??? I don't have a backup disk), and two other choices that don't match my startup drive.

I pick one of em, and my customized desktop, the dock... all my applications and basically everything is gone. 2 of my hard drives won't even show up.
The drive that's working won't let me access anything because I don't have the right 'privelages'.... even though it's my friggin computer....

Long story short.... my entire setup is gone and my computer is screwed until I can find a way to revert back to Snow Leopard.

use time machine next time.

Feel better?

ctbear

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2010

Sounds like you booted into recovery.

MisterDisney

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Yeah, always make sure your back-up(s), Time Machine etc. are in order before upgrading to a new OS. I just did a straight upgrade on my iMac and a clean install on my son's iMac (finally got rid of bootcamp, no more Windows, yay!). Both went smoothly and relatively fast (except the clean install since I had to install SL again, first).. But, I had also burned an install DVD and used that. It seemed like a more hassle free way of doing it. Of course I understand that it's not something everyone will want to do.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Right. Because what you're experiencing HAS TO MEAN everyone else is experiencing the same thing. :roll eyes:

You messed up the installation along the way. Lion has to install. For that to happen it will restart your computer. You don't choose your startup disk. You choose the Lion disk. Since Lion is what you are going to install. Then just follow the prompts.

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
Yeah, always make sure your back-up(s), Time Machine etc. are in order before upgrading to a new OS. I just did a straight upgrade on my iMac and a clean install on my son's iMac (finally got rid of bootcamp, no more Windows, yay!). Both went smoothly and relatively fast (except the clean install since I had to install SL again, first).. But, I had also burned an install DVD and used that. It seemed like a more hassle free way of doing it. Of course I understand that it's not something everyone will want to do.
If you burned the disk image, you could have booted from that and skip installing SL.

Hugh

Jagardn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2011
Right. Because what you're experiencing HAS TO MEAN everyone else is experiencing the same thing. :roll eyes:

You messed up the installation along the way. Lion has to install. For that to happen it will restart your computer. You don't choose your startup disk. You choose the Lion disk. Since Lion is what you are going to install. Then just follow the prompts.
Exactly, look at the Lion rating in the app store. There are many more happy people than not. My install was perfect.

wkl5532

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2011
Lion is not working on you, but it works on so many other users, your problem happened for a reason, u need to find it and fix it instead of telling others to not buy it.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Ohio
Just because something went wrong for you doesn't mean you should make the generalization that it'll go wrong for everyone else.

TNTN

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Two friends of mine have Macs that have completely keeled over cos of Lion. BT Home Hubs seem to cause some sort of problem, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.