Never ever EVER EVER AGAIN!!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Schmange, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Schmange macrumors newbie

I download Lion. Install it. Restart.
    And .... I get a screen saying I need to restart again.

Numerous tries later I figure I'll try and hold the shift key down.
    That seems to kinda work. I get a progress bar and things seem to be loading.

Now... there's a startup screen with three choices.... backup disk.... (??? I don't have a backup disk), and two other choices that don't match my startup drive.

I pick one of em, and my customized desktop, the dock... all my applications and basically everything is gone. 2 of my hard drives won't even show up.
    The drive that's working won't let me access anything because I don't have the right 'privelages'.... even though it's my friggin computer....

Long story short.... my entire setup is gone and my computer is screwed until I can find a way to revert back to Snow Leopard.

Advice: DON'T BUY IT!!!!

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I really appreciate the informative advice. I'll make sure not to install Lion onto my computer.

3. wpotere Guest

4. gentlefury macrumors 68030

use time machine next time.

Feel better?

5. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

You can reinstall Snow Leopard by using your Time Machine backup or your CCC backup.

6. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Just because you have this problem doesnt mean you should tell people not to buy it.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Advice: use a backup disk, regularly, and particularly before an OS upgrade.

8. ctbear macrumors 6502a

Sounds like you booted into recovery.

9. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Yeah, always make sure your back-up(s), Time Machine etc. are in order before upgrading to a new OS. I just did a straight upgrade on my iMac and a clean install on my son's iMac (finally got rid of bootcamp, no more Windows, yay!). Both went smoothly and relatively fast (except the clean install since I had to install SL again, first).. But, I had also burned an install DVD and used that. It seemed like a more hassle free way of doing it. Of course I understand that it's not something everyone will want to do.

10. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Right. Because what you're experiencing HAS TO MEAN everyone else is experiencing the same thing. :roll eyes:

You messed up the installation along the way. Lion has to install. For that to happen it will restart your computer. You don't choose your startup disk. You choose the Lion disk. Since Lion is what you are going to install. Then just follow the prompts.

11. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

If you burned the disk image, you could have booted from that and skip installing SL.

Hugh

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

13. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

Exactly, look at the Lion rating in the app store. There are many more happy people than not. My install was perfect.

14. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

my upgrade, clean install, unsupported install, and hackintosh install all went fine.

it's you, sorry dude. :rolleyes:

dfttrolls.jpg

15. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Lion has been 100% perfect for me so far. No way i'd go back to Snow Leopard, even as much as i liked it.

16. wkl5532 macrumors newbie

Lion is not working on you, but it works on so many other users, your problem happened for a reason, u need to find it and fix it instead of telling others to not buy it.

17. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

18. ideal.dreams macrumors 68020

ideal.dreams

Just because something went wrong for you doesn't mean you should make the generalization that it'll go wrong for everyone else.

19. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

I've installed Lion on top of SL and done a clean install of Lion, with no issues.

20. eifer macrumors regular

21. TNTN macrumors member

Two friends of mine have Macs that have completely keeled over cos of Lion. BT Home Hubs seem to cause some sort of problem, too.