Never, EVER going to buy a Windows machine again

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mysterytramp, Jul 25, 2009.

1. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

This is long, and I apologize in advance.

Purchased an eMachines computer for my son this morning from Costco. Purchased a wireless card at Best Buy so we can do all the cool Internet things with the computer included in the "Starter Guide." The sparse documentation didn't reveal how to open the case to install the card, so I went on emachines.com and found live chat tech support. Here's where things take a strange turn.

First the tech guy tries to get me to call their telephone tech support, where there's a charge. When I object, he says I'm welcome to use the three empty slots in the computer, but if I open the tower, I'll void the warranty. (And there's a sticker marked "QA" across the hatch so if I try to get service, eMachines crack repair service (if such a thing exists) will know I disrupted their Quality Assurance Force Field.

Next call is to Costco. Woman gets an eMachines rep on the phone, who tersely says it won't void the warranty. Costco says the conversation was recorded and noted in a file so if indeed there's a warranty issue, it'll be resolved. Happy ending.

Except:

1) You could say I just got a bonehead in tech support. Other companies must have boneheads too who pass on bad info. Probably, but this sucker was first a shill and second a liar. That's about as bad as it gets in tech support.

2) You could say I should have expected a problem like this since eMachines sells the cheapest pieces of crap on the market. Except the whole point of Microsoft's Laptop Hunter ads is to convince people that cheap POS computers should be compared against machines costing twice as much.

Or you could say that no matter what eMachines has to do to keep its costs low, pissing off its customers doesn't make sense. Ugh.

mt

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

To each is own, they all have problems here and there but I prefer the Mac OS over windows.

3. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I would return it and get a different brand like HP. Since you got it at Costco their return policy is subpar.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's funny, I'm never EVER going to buy a Mac desktop again!
    Different strokes and all that. But it'll be a homebuild and pack more gaming wallop than any current Mac desktop (which is all I need from Windows :eek:).

5. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

so what has this got to do with windows/microsoft?

6. xboxer75010 macrumors 6502

xboxer75010

You could just get a usb wireless adapter no opening of case necessary.

7. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

I don't discriminate...I hate all computers equally (because all computers hate me)

8. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

This is one good reason I own an HP Pavilion a6400f machine--it has been very reliable so far, with generally very few software compatibility issues (I had a problem with the Norton Internet Security 2009 plug-in for Firefox crashing Firefox 3.5.1, but Symantec tech support knows about this and will offer an updated plug-in very soon to correct the problem).

9. Greenhoe macrumors regular

Your first mistake was buying an eMachine! which is owned by gateway I believe. The computer won't last you over a year anyway.

Your second mistake was trying to call customer service for tech support. Those people my friend are just as clueless as you when it comes to an inside of a computer.

Installing a PCI card is very easy, just google "installing a PCI card" or look it up on youtube and you'll see tons of tutorials. Just open the computer pop the card in and then close it. Then install the drivers that came with the card.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with the support but trust me Google and youtube will always give you better support then those cheap PC manufactures.

10. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I agree it has nothing to do with being a "Windows" machine. Anyways you should have bought a Dell.

11. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

No it's not.

12. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Another misinformed computer user blaming a higher power for something that was really oversight on their part.

If you buy a cheap machine, expect cheapness. There are plenty of pre-built PCs that are good. Even better, go to a computer shop and ask them to build you one. It usually ends up being a much better value (and you can put whatever you want in it) unless you get a prebuilt that's on sale.

13. PenguinPower macrumors member

PenguinPower

I am pretty sure the point of the commercials was that equivalent hardware speced machines exists with levels closer to at cost...not that you should buy ones sold basically with a few percents above cost. Emachine is a very low, entry level brand. Its fine for people that want to get on "Teh Internets to check thier AOL", but there are definitely higher caliber systems. Building it from scratch is usually the best value option as you get to pick which components go in on a per item basis.

Of course, I probably wouldn't recommend this route for you since there was case open trouble on the emachine.

Also, you would have been better off getting a USB wireless adapter from newegg.

14. mysterytramp thread starter macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Opening the computer was the issue. It looked like the entire enclosure needed to be removed. What I finally got out of them was that instead of removing a dozen screws, I only needed to remove two. Granted, I don't have a LOT of experience with computer innards (upgraded my 128K to a 512Ke, added the odd Nubus card on an old II, added RAM here and there). But most PCs I've worked with, there was an obvious bay door to open to get easy access to the slots. This didn't.

But regardless of my lack of experience, telling someone they'd void a warranty for adding a wireless card is effing lunacy.

Except this machine's specs compare favorably with a Mac mini. My read on those ads should be that I should have an equivalent experience. Maybe we saw different ads.

As for whether it's Microsoft's fault, check the antitrust suit. Microsoft maintains tight control over who gets to sell their operating systems. eMachines exists because Microsoft allows them to exist.

mt

15. tabasco70 macrumors 6502

That sucks, I also personally prefer Macs over Windows, but I'm slightly confused about why this has made you decide never to buy a Windows machine again.
    If this happened to me, I would decide never to buy a computer from costco/emachines (not familiar with this one).
    Its mostly the service that was awful. Should have gotten an HP or something from BestBuy.