Never, ever has a mobile device/smart phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Robertus, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Robertus, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

Robertus macrumors member

Robertus

I am in early 40s and have used Mac computers for several years, and I never, ever has a mobile device/smart phone. No iPhone, no iPad, no Galaxy, no Epic, no Blackberry, no T-Mobile, etc. going all the way back to the earliest pager devices. A lot of my deaf friends have them over the years (from pager devices to the latest gadgets). My friend tried to sell me a Blackberry for several years but I remain unconvinced and unimpressed with BB devices. I looked at various generations of iPhones and other mobile devices but still cannot decide on one.

Who else never has a smart phone/mobile device over the years? :D

More than 20 years ago or so, we didn't worry about not keeping in touch all the times with our friends and family over smart devices in our hands. Now we do. :rolleyes:

Just saying.

2. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Not sure I see the point of this thread, I don't pop over to the iMac forum and tell everyone how I've never owned an Apple desktop. Regardless, the world isn't the same as it was when we were growing up. Things that were rare or non-existent in the 80's are commonplace now, and would additionally have to say are hugely beneficial to deaf/blind community. You must remember a little device that came out some years back that revolutionized the way people interacted with their music and made it possible to carry your tunes on the go. Naturally that device evolved into something where you could bring even more, higher quality music with you, randomize your music when you listed to it and paved the way to the MP# players and phones we have today.

I can imagine a lot of people were confused when the Walkman came out as well and wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but it's hard to argue that these devices haven't changed our lives. That's totally cool if you don't want a smartphone, but the "no one can convince me to own a smartphone because of the 2 year contract (which, by the way, is completely off base, you can easily purchase smartphones 2nd hand that you can use without a contract, or buy contract free) is an odd attitude to take when you're posting in a smartphone forum.

3. wxman2003 Suspended

You got by this long without one and you sound like you don't want a mobile phone or smartphone. There is no way for us to truly describe what a smartphone can do for you. It's like trying to explain what sex is like for the first time, or driving a car for the first time, or owning a computer for the first time. You have to try for yourself to see if you like it. You generally have 2 weeks to try with all the carriers. If you don't like, you can cancel and pay for just those 2 weeks.

4. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

Don't get one.

Communication with the outside world is overrated.

5. Robertus thread starter macrumors member

Robertus

You misread me. I didn't say that I don't wanted a smartphone. I just haven't decide or settle on a very nice device. That being said, I like the iPhone and its functions but I'm not sold on its size, physical appearance, and Apple's contracted subscription model with a mobile provider. Plus I am curious if other people take a long time in deciding on a mobile device for reasons I don't know. I had a friend who took over 2 years to decide on one and was happy with an iPhone for awhile before he passed away. :( He was very picky and discriminating with his buying choices.

6. Luis2004 macrumors 6502a

I don't think he misread you, I think you just deleted the "no one can convince me to get a smartphone" from your original post.

But regardless, and in all seriousness, the answer is yes. Many people agonize over which device to buy, and finally do it. Some are happy with their decisions and others aren't. The good thing about it, though, is many wireless companies, and also Apple, will give you 14 days to return it if you don't like it. Living with a device for 2 weeks is enough time to decide.

7. Robertus thread starter macrumors member

Robertus

No, he missed the last line in my first paragraph: "I looked at various generations of iPhones and other mobile devices but still cannot decide on one."

Yes, I deleted a part of my comment because my reason for it seem spurious and ill-informed.

8. SR45 macrumors 65832

SR45

Was in same boat as OP....My first smartphone (67 yrs old), and only use it for GPS - Talk - Very little Email - Very little Web Browsing - Camera use. No games, no music, not txting, no FaceTime, no movies.... EVER.

I like the form factor in that its easy to hold with one hand if need be. Is a mature looking device over the plastic larger phones by the competitors. Have a Mac desktop which works well with the iPhone. ;)

And yes, I can afford such luxury for little I use it...

9. Chris092881 macrumors 6502

What the guy above me said. Sometimes I wonder what the point is. So I can communicate with people that just annoy me anyways?

10. Mrbobb, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013

Mrbobb macrumors 601

If u haven't had a need to have one, u probably don't.

11. Stuntman06 macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

The only reason I decided to get a smartphone in the first place was when I was planning to go on a vacation and wanted a GPS device as I would be driving in an unfamiliar city. I figured that I should probably get a smartphone since smartphones have GPS apps and can do more stuff. Once I got my smartphone, I was instantly hooked on smartphones. This was 3 years ago.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Sorry, but honestly, it's not like you're buying a house here, if you were interested in owning a device you would have picked one up by now. I'm all for diligent research and knowing what you're buying before you purchase it, but in an industry that flips new models every 3 months to a year, it's a fools errand. It's also totally cool if you don't want to buy one, there are literally dozens of products that I don't own that I have a slight interest in but haven't seen a hook yet to get me there.

13. Kissaragi macrumors 68020

Things change, get over it. You dont have to take part if you dont want to.

14. Abarth1200 macrumors regular

I take it you mean 'never had' as opposed to 'ever has'!?

15. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Well the iPhone does lead all other devices.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2013/03/21...-satisfaction-rankings-by-significant-margin/

It's basically the only smartphone you can use comfortably with one hand.

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

OP asking for a salesman?

Comeon all of u who get a commission from Apple.