never getting 3G symbol on Sprint Iphone 4s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by avpmusik, Oct 23, 2011.

1. avpmusik macrumors member

So i've had my iphone 4s since launch date and i've noticed i've never gotten a 3G symbol on my phone. all thats ever been there is a little circle and nothing else. is my phone defective? or does sprint iphone not show the 3g sign?

i live in san diego, and yesterday i was out all day to various places,
    downtown, east county, near chula vista and the 3g logo never showed up.

what might be weird , is my signal bar for my phone is usually 4-5 bars in strength. i pre ordred the phone on sprint.com, and i ordered the applecare.

should i go into a local sprint store so they can see it?
    or should i go to the apple store?

i also wanted to see if it was possible, if i could upgrade my 16gb to a 32 gb
    since it hasnt been 30 days yet.. if if i were to get a replacement phone, would this be possible to upgrade it right then and there?

very interested to hearing you spring iphone useres thoughts.
    thanks

2. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Did you order through Sprint? If so, you've only got 14 days, now.

The west coast network has been screwy. I'm doing that at home, on both my phones and only getting full 3G, when I leave.

3. avpmusik thread starter macrumors member

14 days? i didnt know that.

so are you saying you get the 3g symbol when you leave home?
    i dont get that EVER. and my speeds are slow, but i read reports about the speed being slow all together with sprint and iphone..

4. beret9987 macrumors regular

That circle means you're running on 1X, the CDMA equivalent of EDGE, which is a 2G network. If your phone is doing this all the time(especially in urban areas), it's probably defective. I'd definitely go back to the store, return it, and order a 32GB if you want one. Better to have more storage!

5. Cdaddy112 macrumors member

It means you are on sprints super slow 1XEV network, that's what mine kept showing so I returned it and switched to AT&T, hurry before your 14days is up

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Yes, if I'm sitting in Starbucks I get 3G, so I think something is wrong with your phone.

7. HBGFrank macrumors newbie

Im in the mid atlantic region but, I have a 3G on my phone everywhere I go except when on wifi. Not quite sure if that means I have 3G (get .2mbps in some sprots and 2.0mbps in others) I was wondering if it ALWAYS showed 3G.

8. brazil5376 macrumors member

try resetting your antenna by doing this. from the dialer...##873283# then press call...starting service update will appear...press ok and then after a few seconds it will search for signal. If 3G doesn't appear then your 3g antenna must be defective.

9. avpmusik thread starter macrumors member

should i go to a sprint store or apple store?
    which is best for my situation?

10. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

It is Sprint.... I'd say try Apple first!

11. avpmusik thread starter macrumors member

Thanks alot brazil, that worked!
    i dont know why it didnt find the 3g antenna out of the box.