Never going to buy or use a non-retina Mac again

Discussion in 'iMac' started by c.s., Nov 5, 2014.

1. c.s. macrumors regular

c.s.

After using the retina iMac exclusively for over a week, I just went back and did a little work using my 27" Apple LED display. After ten minutes I had a headache. Not kidding. I've been ruined. It felt like a bygone era, one I hope to never visit again. The new iMac is that big of a change, at least for me.

2. Cape Dave macrumors 68000

I have had mine 3 days. I suspect I am in the same boat. I am in love with the way text looks.

3. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

I just opened mine last night, and using Microsoft Word for the first time sold me on retina Macs.

4. thedeske macrumors 6502a

5. DotCom2 macrumors 68030

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I was waiting for the Retina iMac for a long time because I needed a desktop machine but just couldn't downgrade to a non-retina display from my 15'' rMBP. I even bought a used 2010 27'' iMac to wait it out but lothed the display so much that I upgraded as soon as the Retina iMacs came out.

7. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Yup. I had my old 30" set up as a second display. After half an hour I disconnected it and put it up for sale. It was like going back to CGA.

8. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

If you've had a rMBP since they came out, you've been in that situation for 2 years now :)

9. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Not the same, though. A tiny 15" screen is never going to be usable as a replacement for a desktop, and although it gave us a taste it wasn't like having 5k of space to play with.

10. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

Definitely not the same comparing a desktop. I'm just talking about retina vs non-retina. I know what people are saying about non retina giving a headache after a while. Retina is so pleasant to work on. I said retina lots in this message :D

11. c.s. thread starter macrumors regular

c.s.

Exactly. I've owned the rMBP since 2012 but couldn't enjoy it as much, because I had to plug it into a non-retina 27" display to have a usable workspace for design & video. I hardly used it by itself, except on the road a couple times a year. I'll enjoy the riMac every day, especially the ergonomics of using a desktop with razor-sharp detail. It's amazing.

12. Truthfulie macrumors regular

Out of curiosity, are you using your Retina iMac with 5K native resolution? Instead of HiDPI 1440p workspace?

13. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I alternate between the 3200 (for general browsing and stuff) and 5120 (for working in a specific application, Logic Pro, games, FCPX, Aperture, CAD and so on). If I know my application then the buttons at native resolution are just the right size and out of the way.

14. Steveatesh macrumors regular

Steveatesh

Im still sitting next to my PC with the iMac next to it. The PC looks atrocious next to it, looking forward to getting bootcamp and Parallels installed so I can pack the PC away altogether.

To think I sat on the fence waiting so long to make my mind up about Mac or another PC! Mind, I'll enjoy it more when i know what I;m doing!

15. WilliamG macrumors 604

After a day or so of using the RiMac, I told myself man... there's not much difference really. And then I powered on my old iMac and was :eek::eek::eek:.

Yick!

16. w00tini macrumors 6502a

I second this thread's point... I cannot look at my 27" ACD now... retina on a huge screen is even more orgasmic than on the iPhone/iPad