Never had a Kernal Panic

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Bigtree, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Bigtree macrumors 6502

Since getting my iMac 13 months ago, I've never had a kernal panic. How long for you?

2. Mikey- macrumors regular

I've only had 1 it was a couple of weeks after I got my first Mac, there was some folders in my Finder that I though were useless so deleted them but they must have been important.

3. cbrain macrumors 65816

cbrain

I've had a few, also BSODs under Boot Camp. Most have all happened when mounting ISOs. Virtual CloneDrive in windows and an old version of Parallels on OS X. Anyone know why that might be happening?

Thanks.

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

I've had 2 KP's in 5 years.

1 for installing cheap RAM

1 for installing beta software for an old webcam

5. TH-Gunner macrumors regular

I've never had one in the year and 3 months that I've had my computer.

But I have had some random lockups, where everything just stops. The first one was a few weeks ago, and the second one was a few days ago. I don't think the second one should have happened; it was after I reinstalled the whole OS, so I'm suspicious...

6. RealaT macrumors regular

I've had my MBP for just over a year, my iBook for 9 months, and my iMac for 1 month. I also owned a mac mini for 6 months in the middle and a macbook for 3 months in that time frame.

Not a single KP on any of those machines, in fact the only time I've ever seen a KP was when I made a hackintosh 2 years ago and it would KP fairly often. It was actually that machine that got me hooked on OSX and Apple computers.

On the other hand, i've ran various flavours of Windows on all these Macs (at least the ones where it is possible) and have had countless BSOD occurrences, probably at least 1 a week for the last year.

7. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

my mac pro at home it happens fairly regular, i'm not sure if its a bad hdd or there's some other issue. My mac pro at work (new 2.8) never had a kernel panic since i got it (2-3 months). My 2.66 at home panic'd last week.

8. Padraic macrumors regular

I have an iMac (20") that's just at a year old and a macbook at 1 month old and haven't had a KP on either.

9. DeekinBlooz macrumors member

20 in. Intel iMac is almost 2 years old. Never had a kernal panic.

10. yegon macrumors 68020

Bought my MB, my first mac, 18 months ago. Had about 10 KP's in the first two weeks! Dodgy logic board, replaced, had about 2 since.

I absolutely hammer my MB, take it everywhere, use it all day....no cracks, no yellowing, 240 battery cycles, 100% health. Great buy!!!

11. acxz macrumors regular

I've never had one either. Okay, I've only had my iMac since December, but compared to BSODs in Windows and x.org issues in Linux it's a massive difference.

12. DeekinBlooz macrumors member

Now that I think about it. I have had a Dell Laptop at work for 2 years, without a single BSOD. In fact, I haven't seen a BSOD in . . .7 years? I've seen sluggishness, lock-ups, and upgrade nightmares, but no BSODs in all that time.

13. indefatigable macrumors member

I have a power book that I bought 3 years go for grad school, and I think I may have had 2-3 KPs in that time. And I dragged that laptop to and from school every single day. The strap on my cheap laptop case broke at one point and the corner slammed into concrete and dented the case. It woke up from sleep just fine.

I assume my KPs were for not restarting for a month or more, and using every program I have daily :)

It did go through two defective logic boards though.

14. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

None in either of the two Macs I have. A four year old iBook and nearly three year old Powerbook.

15. Doodledoo macrumors regular

It's been 10 months and I've never had one on my iMac, also my first and only Mac so far.

16. pwn247 macrumors 6502

pwn247

I've had this Mac Pro for a month or two now, with zero kernel panics.

I've had a couple of BSOD's in VMWare and Parallels, but that's in Windows. :p

17. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

I don't remember any. Would this be a good command to find out?:

Code:
    sudo bzgrep -i panic /var/log/*log* |grep -v grep |wc -l
    If so, I have 0.