Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Contra1971

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
San Antonio
I have had iPads, ipods and iPhones

but never a Mac desktop
I have a great monitor (ultra widescreen)
and I like my trackball and keyboard
that is why I figured a mac mini might be best, but am I wrong they only come with HDD not SSD
I heard one model comes with a hybred but I want SSD only
do I have to go to the pro?

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
You really need to take some initiative and go look at the Mac mini configuration options at Apple's corporate website.

For what it's worth, all three Mac desktop product lines can be configured with an SSD. Different configurations command different pricing, it's up to you to decide what's best for your budget and usage case (neither of which you bothered to mention).

Good luck.

Contra1971

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 7, 2016
San Antonio
I did go to their website before posting here and all I saw was 1 configuration of the Mac Mini
even Best Buy has 2, I didn't see why they only offer 1
unless they are phasing them out.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
You can swap the HDD for an SSD. Reasonably easy in the models 2012 and before, a bit harder in the 2014 model but also doable, see guide below.

Apple has been really badly treating its desktops. While Macbooks switched exclusively to SSD from the launch of the retinas 4 years ago, even today's iMacs still come with spinning harddrives - and in the iMac putting in an SSD is not for the fainthearted.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Mac+Mini+Late+2014+Hard+Drive+Cable+Replacement/32816

Bart Kela

Suspended
Oct 12, 2016
Searching...
I did go to their website before posting here and all I saw was 1 configuration of the Mac Mini
even Best Buy has 2, I didn't see why they only offer 1
unless they are phasing them out.
I dunno what site you are visiting but when I visit http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-mac/mac-mini

I see three default models and each one has different configuration options. As a previous commenter has mentioned, B&H Photo-Video has nine different configurations listed on their online retail store.

It would be wise of you investigate further to identify all of your purchasing possibilities.

Reactions: AngerDanger

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
On the Apple store click Buy, then the Model, then the options.

You will see an option for 256 solid state, as well as RAM and CPU upgrades too.

Technically not an SSD, as it connects directly to PCI bus, not SATA bus. Faster!

I would suggest considering RAM upgrade, as it cannot be upgraded later.

----

FYI: We are all expecting new(er) mini, Pro and iMac machines likely in the first half of 2017.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
I have had iPads, ipods and iPhones

but never a Mac desktop
I have a great monitor (ultra widescreen)
and I like my trackball and keyboard
that is why I figured a mac mini might be best, but am I wrong they only come with HDD not SSD
I heard one model comes with a hybred but I want SSD only
do I have to go to the pro?

Yes, you are wrong.

The mid and top of the range Mac Minis come standard with a 1TB HDD and 1TB Fusion Drive respectively.

Both can be built to order with SSD:
  • 256GB for the mid range Mac Mini
  • 256Gb, 512GB or 1TB SSD for the top of the range model

http://www.apple.com/mac-mini/specs/
Processor

1.4GHz
1.4GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz) with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache

2.6GHz
2.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.1GHz) with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache
Configurable to 3.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz) with 4MB on-chip shared L3 cache.

2.8GHz
2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) with 3MB on-chip shared L3 cache
Configurable to 3.0GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz) with 4MB on-chip shared L3 cache.

Storage1
1.4GHz

500GB (5400-rpm) hard drive
Configurable to 1TB Fusion Drive.

2.6GHz
1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive
Configurable to 1TB Fusion Drive or 256GB of flash storage (SSD).

2.8GHz
1TB Fusion Drive
Configurable to 2TB Fusion Drive or 256GB, 512GB or 1TB of flash storage (SSD).

Memory
1.4GHz

4GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory
Configurable to 8GB or 16GB.

2.6GHz
8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory
Configurable to 16GB.

2.8GHz
8GB of 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory
Configurable to 16GB.

eviljack

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
You can also try to find a used 2012 Mac Mini with the quadcore i7. They are faster than the current model and easily upgradable memory and HDD/SSD wise. They cost a bit of a premium over the new models though due to not being in production anymore.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
The price of the current mac minis is mildly hilarious. It's an extremely difficult product to recommend.

Yeah, I'm not sure now is the best time to start taking up desktop Macs.

Buying used is probably a best bet, in my opinion.

Reactions: phairphan

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
I had some time to waste before a meeting and went into the Apple Store closely because I wanted to further play with the new MBP (I still don't see the point of the touch bar nor like the keyboard but that's off topic).
I wanted to check out the new LG displays and one of them was connected to a Mac Mini - the cheapest 1.4 i5. And I have to say it was embarrassing to use. Spinning beach balls, waiting forever to open Notes (!) or Safari... I really don't understand why they don't put in a 250 GB SSD instead of the old slow hard drive. The cost difference would be minor but the user experience difference huge.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I had some time to waste before a meeting and went into the Apple Store closely because I wanted to further play with the new MBP (I still don't see the point of the touch bar nor like the keyboard but that's off topic).
I wanted to check out the new LG displays and one of them was connected to a Mac Mini - the cheapest 1.4 i5. And I have to say it was embarrassing to use. Spinning beach balls, waiting forever to open Notes (!) or Safari... I really don't understand why they don't put in a 250 GB SSD instead of the old slow hard drive. The cost difference would be minor but the user experience difference huge.
Because of profit margins and planned obsolescence, both of which matter a great deal to Tim Cook.

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
Because of profit margins and planned obsolescence, both of which matter a great deal to Tim Cook.
Probably true but still. I am sure that many people keep their existing mini rather than upgrading to a new one because of the terrible specs of what is currently instore. So Apple in the end loses out on sales IMHO.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Probably true but still. I am sure that many people keep their existing mini rather than upgrading to a new one because of the terrible specs of what is currently instore. So Apple in the end loses out on sales IMHO.

Of course -- then they can axe it due to poor sales.

It's like auto manufacturers selling only the very base model in manual transmission, then saying nobody wants to buy manual anymore.

Reactions: jpietrzak8
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.