Never had password before. Must use one now.

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by Racineur, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Racineur macrumors regular

Racineur

Hi and sorry if my post looks silly but I think I must now use a password when I turn on my iMac on ML 10.8.4. True I never used one cause I'm the only user of the iMac. But a friend made me aware of identity and data theft if my computer was stolen and I'm freaking out right now. Better late than never. Here it is: I've had my late 2012 iMac since July. So I am the administrator. I have a system wide username and password set when I set up the iMac on the first day. But I don't enter any password when I start a new session or when tie iMac wakes up from sleep. Went to Security pref pane and also googled "Security" but I'm lost in translation. Too many info in a single moment. May I ask you the short route to using a password at start-up. I would appreciate to be able to use my admin password. Is it possible? Again, sorry for the newbie attitude. Cues are apprediated.
    Cheers.

2. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

If you want to disable automatic login so that it asks for a password when you turn the computer on, go to:-

1) System Preferences > Users & Groups
    2) Click on [Login Options]
    3) Change the "Automatic login" drop down to "Off"
    You may need to click on the lock icon on the bottom left to allow you to change this option.

The next time you restart your computer it will load to the login screen, where you will need to enter your user accounts (admin) password to login.