Never had phone shipped - how to do the activation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotlex, Sep 18, 2014.

1. rotlex macrumors 6502a

So I've always gone to the Apple store when I got a new\replacement iPhone.

I'm having my iPhone 6 shipped to me tomorrow to replace an ATT iPhone 5. Simple question. How do I activate the new phone, transferring the number etc.? I know, probably a really dumb question, but is it as easy as turning it on and following the prompts, or must I go to the att activation web site?

Note - I am actually picking it up at the UPS depot tomorrow morning, and will be taking it to the office so I won't have my home computer\itunes available. Can it be easily done?

Thanks anyone.

2. Radiating macrumors 65816

You just follow the prompts and your phone number should transfer. If they gave you a new phone number and you want your old one you can just switch the SIM and make sure the correct sim is on the correct plan.

3. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yeah, just use iTunes to backup your iPhone 5 and restore the back up to your 6. Then follow the prompts for activation, but remember the Apple activation server is going to be bogged down all day tomorrow so be prepared to wait for it to activate.

4. rotlex thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks all. Sounds simple enough. just wasn't sure how the number transferred and the old phone was "shut down" or deactivated etc.

Here's hoping it just works

5. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Yep, just turn on the new phone and follow prompts. Super easy and foolproof.

6. GonzagaDynasty macrumors regular

It's actually better to get it shipped IMO.

In the stores they always Hassle me about cross line upgrades and crap. Usually requires me temporarily disconnecting service on the line using the upgrade.
    This way, you just activate it on the line you want

7. PaythePiper macrumors member

I'm getting mine shipped using the 2 GB capped line, but want to move it to my UDP line. Is it fairly easy to do as well? Ordered it from VZW