Never had such a buggy preview in OS X before...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by blow45, Apr 26, 2012.

1. blow45 macrumors 68000

On all 4 of my macs (with different frequencies of course) it crushes quite often with a few pdfs open. Beachballs occur most often when trying to print something with a subsequent crash. I am expasparated with preview in lion, I never thought preview could be so buggy.

2. windowstomac macrumors regular

My Preview in Lion isn't buggy as such but it's probably the slowest app on my Mac. Truly bizarre how long it can take to open a JPG or PDF!

3. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

For me, it isn't buggy or slow with simple operations like printing or opening a picture, but it's pretty buggy as soon as you have lots of pictures open or are doing anything with Versions.

Another annoying bug that is simple to replicate, is that the inspector doesn't update its info when you change the image dimensions.

Anyway, file bug reports and send feedback!

4. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

Same here, after a few pdfs the bugs start to crawl out... The fact that lion keeps opening up previously open preview documents after a force quit isn't helping either, nor is the fact that for every save as you get a duplicate thus taxing the already problematic preview even more. Is anyone doing any debugging at apple these days? Preview is a core os application, it shouldn't have any problems at all, it should be exemplary as to how 3rd party apps should behave in os x...

I wasn't aware about the inspector issue, thanks for pointing it out.

I 'll try filling a bug report, but to tell you the truth I 've pretty much had it with the state of lion, if we are to file one bug report after the other but no one is doing any work on them what's the point? I can't believe how such a core os feature as preview has been shipped out with such little care about how reliable and robust it is...

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Let me throw some water on this misery fest. I have a 2.93 GHz 17" MacBook Pro (2009) running Lion. The thing that I do most on the computer is to scan dozens of documents at a time. I open them in Preview en masse. Like everyone else, I am annoyed by Lion's new feature of automatically reopening the last documents that were opened when the application was last shut down. However, with scanned 30-40 documents open simultaneously, my MBP has never ever had a stability problem. The MBP has never suffered a kernel panic while running Lion any of the previous operating systems that were installed on the computer.

6. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

I guess you are one of the lucky ones, what can I say. I am glad it works well for you. :) I wouldn't mind it so much on my older devices (I would but I 'd be more inclined to not blame it on the code) but out of the box on new mini I do mind it and hence the misery fest:eek:.

I wish that point could be driven home to apple and that they'd change it at some point... (I have a hunch we 'll be seeing a system wide option for this in ml, (guess how many will keep it on reopen documents...) I like they way you put it: "like everyone else". Anyway, ot.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Based on the posts here, I don't think luck has anything to do with it.

8. blow45 thread starter macrumors 68000

how has luck not anything to do with it? If we are having problems then we are unlucky aren't we, or maybe we are inept? What other posts here, other posts relating to preview bugs? Whatever it is just come out and say it, man, no point in being arcane. :rolleyes:

9. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

I've had my iMac for over two years now, and was always amazed at how everything 'just works'. Upgraded to Lion recently, for iOS and XCode development purposes. Lost functionality of about 20 programs due to lack of Rosetta support. Not cool. Took a deep breath, cleaned up the hard drive a bit, okay. Moving on.

Yesterday, I went to scan some tax documents. Preview crashes. Over and over and over again. Tried force quit, reboot, different printers (one wired, one wireless), everything. Preview breaks. It doesn't 'just work' anymore.

The only way I could get the scan done was to open up the printer software, change the scan target from preview to something else (Mail, for instance), then scan using that app. Got it done, but really? Preview? That's a pretty important app as far as general OS X workflows are concerned, isn't it?

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You don't suppose that you can update the driver for your mysterious problematic scanner, do you?

11. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Yeah, I'll probably do that tomorrow. But it's TWO scanners, with the same exact non-results. That's what lead me to believe it was a problem common to them (preview) not individual failures (the scanners or their associated software packages). We'll see.

12. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Sounds like you don't understand how UNIX and MacOS X work.

13. nashyo macrumors 6502

nashyo

If you don't want your previous documents to open after quit, then turn off the auto save feature in settings.

14. Macman45, Jun 22, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

With only a few weeks left before release, these reports are of some concern. I use Aperture a lot, and after the later round of updates it has been working well. I don't want to upgrade 3 Macs to ML and find out that bugs such as those described here hinder my workflow.

Hopefully, Apple will iron this out prior to release, rather than putting out a lot of update patches after release......I may wait a month before upgrading.

15. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Enlighten me.

----------

I'm actually having a problem with Lion (10.7.x), not a Mountain Lion (10.8.x) developer release.:eek:

16. Arctix macrumors newbie

Preview in Lion is SOOOOOO SLOW to launch, in Snow Leopard pdf's opened INSTANTLY, that was something I really liked about OSX. Can anyone please verify if this "issue" has been resolved in Mountain Lion? Because sometimes it's really frustrating how long you have to wait for a simple pdf or jpg to open.

17. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Unix applications are not expected to be monolithic masses of code, but are often smaller tasks and utilities that are combined to create larger applications. In the simplest case, Unix applications can be created using a shell script to combine Unix tasks in as little as one one. This allows for very powerful and robust applications because each component of the application has been tested and proven in other contexts.

In the case of Preview, it uses Image Capture as its backend for scanning. Many manufacturers' scanning utilities are also front ends to Image Capture. Any scanner that works in Image Capture is virtually guaranteed to work in Preview. If you have issues with two scanners--both mysteriously unnamed--then it is likely that you have two outdated scanner drivers.

18. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Hat's off to you, sir. I am enlightened. Having grown up in Windows, the software equivalent of the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies that you described occurring under the hood in Unix, I didn't think possible. That's just plain cool.

To clear up the mystery:
    Brother MFC-240C (fairly old)
    Epson Workforce 545 (fairly new)

I'll see if either (or both) have updated drivers.

Thanks, again.