Never opened or used Purchased of iMac for exchange.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macswitcha2, Aug 12, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I bought the 27" iMac when it first came out and did not open it because of the news about flickering issues and discoloration. I think I'm still under warranty.

Can I take it back to Apple and have it replaced with the new iMac that have processor and graphic card updates and perhaps even pay the difference?

2. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Can you take it back? No, not after sitting unused in a box for a year.

Why in god's name would you spend $2000 and let it sit?

I smell a scam, troll or both.

3. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

What does having never opened or used iMac have to do with a scam or trolling?

4. arcade99 macrumors member

5. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

WTF? Why in earth would you keep that sitting around unopened?

6. dexthageek macrumors 6502

I love spending money on expensive items and letting them sit around for months.*

* Read Sarcastically

7. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

Yeah...

You should see the mint condition 1965 Ferrari 250 GT California in his garage.

8. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Less than a year old.

9. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

You could attempt to unbox it and take it in to say that it has yellowing/whatever and see if they will exchange it.

10. arcade99 macrumors member

I can't believe that anybody byes a 2.000 USD iMac without unboxing it for almost a year.

I hope you try to jerk us away or you obviously have big issues with your Life.

11. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

The machine is under warranty as it's less than a year old however it would be a miracle if Apple exchanged it. If you bought it online, forget it. If you bought it from an Apple Store the store manager would have to be extremely nice as he would have no motivation to exchange a machine almost a year old.

Best of luck.

Roger

12. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

Maybe he's the same fedex guy that stole on of our forum user's imac before it was delivered.

13. aliensporebomb macrumors 68000

aliensporebomb

I can...

I can think of a few reasons why this might be plausible:

-emergency military deployment.
    -death in the family + getting called on to be executor out-of-state
    -serious illness
    -car accident

Stuff like that.

But buying something that expensive and just letting it sit around? I can possibly UNDERSTAND it but I could never do that.

14. arcade99 macrumors member

This guy starts new threads almost every day and a lot of them are as stupid as this it. We shouln't take this seriously...

15. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Hahhaha! The humor on here is why I love this place.

Ok, only one person actually answered my question. I guess I will call Apple to see if I can return it for an exchange. If not, I'll sell it on eBay or something.

16. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry, did not see your post. Thanks. I bought it from an Apple Store. I'm going to call Apple to see or even the store and see what they can do. I mean its literally brand new, never has been open.

I would explain why I never opened it in addition the aforementioned reasons I provided, but why should I? Who are you?

17. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

To exchange something you'd have to give a reason. As it's unboxed what reason could you possibly give? Apple will say open the box and plug it in. If then you notice a fault with it they'd repair it.

18. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

I see what you're saying. My reasons would be that I want the latest one since it was what I wanted in the first generation 27"s. I know, I know, an uphill battle.

19. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Look, stop wasting our time. You laugh at our responses, and refuse to tell us anything.

Apple will not take it back. Why would they? You've supposedly just let it collect dust for about a year.

Sell it. And stop wasting our time.

20. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

You wasted your own time by replying to the thread. Your fault.

Seriously, the answer is unbox the computer. Check and see if it is the tiniest bit yellow or anything, take it back to the store and ask for a replacement. Not that hard.

21. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes, it IS that hard, Apple is not going to exchange the whole computer, if the OP has any yellowing then Apple will do a screen replacement.

22. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Really? Have you owned one of the new imacs? I exchanged mine 3 times without an issue.

23. srowndedbyh2o macrumors regular

IMHO. Don’t open the box. Don’t call Apple. It’s too easy for someone to just blow you off when speaking over the phone. Take the computer back to the Apple store where you bought it, unopened box in hand, and speak with them face to face and see if you can swing a deal. I’ve always found people more willing to negotiate in person. Show up with a smile on your face, and a friendly easy-going attitude. If they don’t go for it, you’ve lost nothing but a little of your time. Then you can decide whether to open it to see if there is some sort of flaw, or sell it as an unopened, never used computer. :)

24. nobias macrumors regular

Agreed. For one reason or another apple seems ready and willing to do as many exchanges as the user wants as long as there is a legitimate reason.

Apparently it's cheaper than sending out parts. They replace the entire thing for even the most innocuous component failure/damage.

25. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Wasting your time? Who the heck are you for me to be wasting your time? I don't have to tell you anything except what I have already indicated.

Go to http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8733702&postcount=22 to see that even when I bought it in October I refused to open it.

Guess what? I never did open my purchase and for the reasons I already indicated.