Never owned a Touch before, will 8GB be enough?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Peytah, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Peytah macrumors newbie

I probably won't carry more than 4GB of music. I don't know if the rest of the memory will be enough for me though because I don't know how much is usually stored an the iPod. I'm guessing we don't even really get the full 8GB b/c of pre-loaded software and the IOS. So that would leave about 3.5GB for apps, documents and videos? How large are iPod movies usually?

Has there been many cases from you guys here where you regretted buying the 8GB and had to return it for a bigger sized? Just not sure if I want to spend that extra $70.

2. unr1 macrumors regular

Unless you seriously can't afford the 70 bucks, get the 32GB. But honestly, if you can't afford 70 bucks, why are you buying an iPod Touch in the first place. :eek:

edit: for those that bought 8GB, be happy that you at least get the same hardware besides the flash memory, of course.

3. ipodtechie macrumors newbie

8gb would be enough

I think buying 8GB Ipod Touch will be enough for the stuff you have specified.

4. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

With the overhead (OS, data files, etc.), 8GB ends up being about 7GB useable storage under iOS 3.x. 4.x is even bigger than that, so figure ~6.75GB free space.

Unless you really like to have to manage your media (music/video, + even more video and photos, now that an on-board camera is in play), I'd spring for the 32GB. I don't consider my music library to be large, but it still takes up the bulk of the storage on my 8GB.

If you get into apps, you'll find that it becomes sort of an addiction. The really well made apps, such as games that take advantage of the retina display, as well as the universal apps that run on both the iPod/iPhone and the iPad, are larger than when apps were designed solely for the former. Each app requires a bit of space for its files as well on top of the app itself.

$70 for 4x the storage isn't that big of a premium, and well worth it. Apple probably kept the base model at 8GB instead of 16GB to drive sales to the 32GB model.

And since the new iPod is more of a generation leap than the 3G was, it's also going to have a longer service life.

If you don't see yourself as a serial upgrader who trades in for the new model every year, the bigger one will be better suited for now, and the future.

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nup. Definitely get the 32GB. 8GB on something that can record 720p video is really not a great deal once half the space is gone with video and a lot of the rest of that space is filled with the much larger retina-display-optimised applications.

Movies from iTunes can be ~2GB at the upper reaches, it plays back HD movies as well which are MUCH larger - they don't play pixel-for-pixel but they do have a much better look to them than SD movies on the same screen.

Save for a few more weeks and get the 32GB, remember, the stuff you do now with your iPod is the stuff you do NOW. Once you get an iPod touch that all changes - there will be a lot more stuff you want to do and you're going to need more room.

6. 7even macrumors 6502a

7. tubemonkey macrumors 6502

tubemonkey

Do you plan on recording lots of HD movies? Do you plan on loading lots of movies? If not, then don't waste your money. 8GB is plenty.

8. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Four times more memory for an extra $70 seems like an easy up-sell but there is always something a little better for a little more. And there is always something else to spend money on. Everyone needs to draw the line somewhere.

The question is "How much do you need to have with you now?". All of it is going to be on your computer. If you can live with moving things on and off your iPod, you can live with an 8 GB Touch. There are times when you want to travel with a suitcase, but for the most part it is okay to pick what you feel like wearing today and leaving the rest of your clothes in the closet.

So what could you do with the extra $70?

Use it to buy an appleTV
    Use it to buy other things you need
    Save it to buy next year's iPod Touch
    Save it because the world is uncertain and saving is good

As unr1 points out, at some level of poverty buying any iPod is foolish. At every other level knowing your needs and limitations is wise. Best wishes.

9. kingofkings8183 macrumors member

8 gig for even NANO is not enough man.i have four gigs of music too and i found out the hard way that 8 gig isnt enough for a touch.Not just you,NO ONE should be buying the 8 gigger.

Especially with that camera,and 1.5 gig going in the OS,youll run out of space before you can say 'i saved $70'.

10. smetvid macrumors 6502

It never occurred to me that people wanted to carry that much stuff on a portable device. I always thought it was easy enough to hook up to a computer to change what content was currently on a device.

Yes the extra $70.00 is not a lot but if you are somebody that has to save up even the $200.00 then it can be a lot.

Personally I say if you are not a lazy sloth and really don't mind actually lifted your but off the couch long enough to hook up your iPod touch to your computer to change your content then I see nothing wrong with a 8GB Touch. Maybe it is just me but I really don't mind syncing up just the content I know I will be using. The iPod to me was never designed to hold everything I have.

11. waynechriss macrumors regular

Get 32GB. I don't listen to a lot of music but i put videos and apps on it like crazy and 8GB was definitely not enough. 70 bucks more, 4x the storage, can't go wrong with that.

12. joe1946 macrumors regular

With 250,000 apps to choose from I would not get an 8GB iPod Touch. I have the 64GB version on order since $95 for an extra 32GB is a good price over the 32GB version.

13. ct95 macrumors regular

8GB strikes me as way too small.

That being said, I've had a 2nd gen 16GB for 2 years, and still have 12GB free after loading iOS 4.0. I use mostly for email/web. Only a few apps and less than a gig of music. When I get the 4th gen, I expect it will fill up rapidly with videos, so I will be getting the 32GB. I've been waiting for rear video cam and am excited about the HD video capability.

14. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Nope. Once you get a Touch you will start to put video and apps on it.

15. MicroByte macrumors 6502

I agree with the sentiments of everyone else, get the 32GB if you can. 8GB might seem like a lot, but space goes quickly when you start getting hooked on Apps and add more music/video over time.

Unless you like to constantly juggle your content, I would spend the extra, you won't regret it.

16. skiltrip macrumors 68030

8GB can be enough if you manage your media.

It all comes down to...

How much media you have and how much media you need with you at any given time.

If you only have a couple gigs of music, and don't need more than a couple movies at a time on your iPod, the 8GB should do fine.

My wife can use an 8GB no problem. She doesn't need tons of music on there at once. Normally she's usually listening to one book on tape at a time, along with some random music tracks here and there. I don't see her having any interest in movies. She primarily uses it as a PDA, kid apps for my daughter, YouTube, IMDB, Facebook, etc. She's not a media hoarder like I am.

17. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

for me, 8GB would def be too small. But my GF has an 8GB and does fine with it. Apps don't take hardly much space at all, so it will be the music and videos that take up the space. GF has several albums, even 4GB of music isn't that much. A video or two only used when going on a flight - which can be swapped and managed (not a big deal). Other than that, pandora app for music is what she uses the most anyway so a huge library is not that important. And solitaire being her main app makes an 8GB fine. Don't spend the extra if you don't want to, but if you're asking, you probably want to go up to 32GB.

18. EJR macrumors member

I'm kind of on the 8GB side of the line when it comes to the Ipod Touch. I know some people absolutely love having all of that extra space, but I got along fine for years with my 8GB second gen, and I honestly don't see a problem occurring with the 4th. One thing people forget is that while yes, you can take music off and on, there is nothing stopping you from deleting apps from your ipod if you don't use them. They're tied to your account, so if you ever see the need to reload one of them, just get it from the store. I don't keep movies on my touch just because I don't see the point in watching them on that small screen, and I get along fine.

If you plan on taking videos, just know that space will fill up pretty fast. Honestly, though, unless you plan on taking a load of them, it'd probably be just easy enough to transfer them as you go. Delete them after that. No big deal, really.

19. mantan macrumors 68000

I'd definitely go bigger.

Like many have said above, 8 is really 7. Once you start adding a lot of apps or video, it's gone in no time at all.

You'll be kicking yourself that you could have had 4X the storage space for another $70.

20. L I G H T I N G macrumors regular

wow

This post has my mind set on getting a 32GB iTouch 5G .....

Unless the base model is 16 GB :D

21. caspersoong macrumors 6502a

8GB is definitely not enough. I have a 64 GB iPod touch and it still isn't enough. The main problem is apps. And video recording. These cause huge files.

22. iRacer macrumors member

How do you find the 8gb? Is it enough space?
    I have a similar dilemma. I probably won't be storing much music on it. Will be using more as a mini pda/ipad for apps and games.
    I can get an 8gb for basically free with my airpoints rewards or pay an extra NZ$150 and get the 32gb.

23. penfan82 macrumors regular

My son had an 8g for about 2 years and it did him fine unless u have tons of music or movies 8 g is fine

24. SgtP3pp3r macrumors member

Flip a coin for it. When the coin is in the air, you'll know what you really are hoping for. I am a media hoarder, and have a 32gb which I always have filled almost to capacity. I use aprox 20gb for music, 5gb for tv shows and movies and the rest for photos, books and apps. Mostly I gripe I should have sprung for the 64gb since my music collection is so big... So yeah :p i'd say go with The 32gb :D

25. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Skip 32 and go right for the 64gb version. Look for a store bundling a case and screen protector with it or somesuch.

Or better yet get the Archos 43 16gb version. $245. Bigger screen. MicroSD-HC expandible for another potential 32gb. Fills the 16gb slot Apple ignored.