Never thought I'd actually do this...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ivan P, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I was perfectly happy with my 2G iPod touch but today, just out of curiosity, I had a look around at what the iPhone plans are like in Australia. An hour later, I walked out of the Telstra store with a black 16GB iPhone 3GS. Posting from it right now, even though I'm still waiting for Telstra to activate everything on their end (oh well, they said it'll be done today :) )... Their plans may not be the best, but it's the only carrier I get where I live... And maaaan am I loving this iPhone - totally should have already switched :D

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Congratulations, that's awesome! Welcome to the world of iPhones! ;) Now you only have to carry one device. Yay.

3. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I am planning on buying the new iPod Touch when it comes out the only thing that keeps me from getting an iPhone is the fact that the cheapest plan I can get is $70 USD a month which is a lot more then the $8 USD I end up using every month with a pay as you go phone ( I don't talk alot ) I don't mind the data plan being $30 I just can't afford $40 for the cheapest talk plan ( wish I could just get a data plan :( ) At any rate congrats!

4. Pixellated macrumors 65816

You really do love that iPhone :D

5. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Should be live in the first sentence ;) gonna blame my beloved iphone's keyboard for that :p

6. Coaldust macrumors member

Think you love it now. Wait till you've been with your iPhone for a couple of months. You will be inseparable :). Had my 3g about 6 months and I'd truly be lost without it.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha now thats an impulsive buy!! congrats though, im sure you will love it!!!

i got a new Nokia E63 yesterday, to replace my E65. it is sort of a Blackberry competition device and VERY usable. i cant get over it.. its amazing!! i have been using it all day..

there are a few reasons why i dont get an iPhone (and why i dont want one, thats another story though), the main reason being the price..

can i ask, why Telstra?? is it the coverage?? because.. yea.. you know what Telstra are like:rolleyes:

edit: oh dw about the Telstra question, i re-read haha

8. army91c macrumors 6502a

Good pick up... Never had a touch but 3gs rules! Congrats. :D

9. uaecasher macrumors 65816

uaecasher

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

its cauz we rock ;)

11. wowipod macrumors regular

What are you thoughts on Telstra and network speed?

I find Optus to be incredibly variably and sometimes the call takes ages to connect but that might be the phone I don't know. Anyway I wouldn't swap to another network Optus has the best deals by far (Virgin is part of Optus, so I count Virgin deals as Optus deals)

12. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Well it finally (FINALLY!!) got activated yesterday, so I've had almost a day to test out the network. I'm very pleased with just how good the reception is on this thing - after reading around on here I was worried that I'd barely ever have signal. Right now, sitting at work, I have the only phone in the entire office that is capable of getting any sort of signal, and comparing it with my old cell, I now get three/four bars in areas where I would rarely even get one - so Im rather happy about that.
    Telstra is pretty damn fast, and it surprised me a lot, to be honest. Messages get sent immediately, apps using 3G are very fast; it found my location perfectly (even though I live, basically, in the middle of nowhere) within seconds using Maps.

13. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

awsome!!! thats really good to hear!!!!

i have heard some really good things about the speed and reliability of Telstras NextG network, however their customer service and prices outweigh this.. i have had my fair share of problems with them (with internet, telephone and mobile), so i use Optus. the signal is fine around here mostly.

goodluck with it all though, im glad you are happy :)

14. labman macrumors 604

labman

Very nice

enjoy the phone and we totally expect you to take some photo's from down under and post them. If I could travel one place in the world tight now Australia would be it love to do some Diving in the Great Barrier Reef! all I can say id I am jealous!

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

pffft the great barrier reef... how boring! you need to come to the gold coast and chill with me!! :cool: we can climb mount warning :p HAHAHAHA

16. roeiboot macrumors regular

roeiboot

17. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I just did this speed test when I was outside, and quite honestly I was pretty damn impressed. This is 300km from the nearest city (Perth), 55km from the nearest large town, in a community with maybe 30 people at the most. The saddest thing is that this is some 100 times faster then any sort of internet connection available in homes here...yes, 100 times.

Attached Files: