Never thought I'd buy a Touch for my 1-year-old, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

6-0 Prolene

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
My daughter has become a fan of my wife's iPhone... She loves looking at pictures, and some of the apps for little kids from toddler on up are great! She's started rotating the iPhone around to rotate pics, etc.

In the interest of not destroying our iPhone 3G's, we decided to get her a Touch--and a good protection plan that covers accidental damage. :)

For some reason I had a hang-up about doing this, but the more I see the educational apps that are available, the better I feel about it. It really seems like the iPod touch is becoming an educational tool for kids. We'll see how it goes...

dukebound85

macrumors P6
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
ive always been a fan of leap frog for that age group

cheaper and more robust

I mean, seriously, children that age don't care about gadgets and will take an interest an any type of gadget if it's put in front of them so why buy her a touch which is pricy and has a very very very good chance of being dropped and broken

6-0 Prolene

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
ive always been a fan of leap frog for that age group

cheaper and more robust

I mean, seriously, children that age don't care about gadgets and will take an interest an any type of gadget if it's put in front of them so why buy her a touch which is pricy and has a very very very good chance of being dropped and broken
I looked at those... the devices themselves are cheaper, but the individual apps are much more expensive and harder to come by. Touch apps (obviously) are $2 or less and downloadable any time.

In a good case, the touch is a pretty resilient device, and the protection plan covers the big hits if there are any.

6-0 Prolene

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 11, 2010
Toddlers are rough on toys, even girls. If she gets frustrated she may throw it. I would wait a bit to see what her temperament turns out to be.
She doesn't really throw any of her toys, and she doesn't play with either of our iPhones unsupervised either. In the unlikely event, though, all the surfaces she plays on are carpeted.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Don't 1 year old kids put things in their mouth still? I'm not sure if this is even safe. All you need is for one of the volume buttons or the on/off button to come off in her mouth and that's it.
I had a hard time thinking of getting my 11 year old one.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Apart from anything else an iPod touch is not child safe, the thing has glass in it for a start. Don't give it to a baby.
An adhesive screen protector would seem to make the screen pretty safe, performing the same function as the thin rubbery layer that's sandwiched into safety glass.

gazzamac

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
could you hold off with the ipod and wait for the release of the ipad ?
Your child may find the bigger screen and 1 Ghz processor a more responsive

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
An adhesive screen protector would seem to make the screen pretty safe, performing the same function as the thin rubbery layer that's sandwiched into safety glass.
Who said the rubber cases or any care for the iPod Touch are meant to be in the mouth of a kid?

Next Thread: Apple won't fix my kids iPod Touch because of water damage

Status
Not open for further replies.