Never thought I'd say it!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aaron.lee2006, Jan 19, 2008.

1. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

But I love Tiger so much better than Leopard. So I got Leopard and loved because of all new features etc. I got into some trouble when it messed up all my permissions making everything pretty much inaccessible. I tried repairing but it didn't seem to help. So I thought I should erase and install. I couldn't find my Leopard disc :( So I installed Tiger again with my restore discs. I love it so much better, it's just got a very clean unique feel. It isn't pounded with unnecessary features or anything. It's simple and I think I might keep using it.

2. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

i got a tiger machine and a leopard machine.

quick look has been my "killer app" so far with leopard. i think spaces could be implemented better (but i don't know how :().

i have this feeling that tiger is snappier...

3. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

Really? I don't think iv ever been happier with an os (Leopard)

4. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

For me, Leopard gives me a very cluttered feel. Tiger just gives me space. And please don't say well Leopard gives you spaces :p

5. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I miss the stability of Tiger (even though the difference is only slight), and I much preferred Tiger's Spotlight. Oh, and the translucent menu bar is annoying, and the dock is a tad choppy. :(

But my faith pulls me through. :rolleyes::apple::rolleyes:

SL

6. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I also hate the Airport functionality in Leopard. It lags when looking for networks and the network menu is incredibly inaccurate. There is a lot of work to be done with Leopard before I will even consider putting it back on my MBP.

7. Makosuke macrumors 603

I'm not trying to be contrarian, but it's weird how different people can have nearly opposite opinions of the same thing--is it really performing that much differently on my computer, or is it just a matter of taste?

I'm totally satisfied, but in particular I actually prefer the new dock--for my side-mounted dock with lots of stuff in it, the new "shadow" 2D version looks considerably better, and is easier to use, than the previous one. The menu bar hasn't bugged me in the slightest, either, though I admit I have a bland background pic.

Airport, similarly, has actually worked better for me under Leopard than Tiger--rock solid connections, and behaves better when I go out of of range of a network I was connected to. I haven't had a single KP, apps are at least as stable as before, and I haven't needed to reboot other than for updates/driver installs (current uptime 7 days).

Likewise, I keep hearing people complain about Mail stability, but it has run fine for me with several POP accounts, and I like the tweaks it's received (search, in particular, works much better).

It even feels faster. That could be psychological, but it's certainly not any slower for what I'm doing. Heck, with an XP VM running in the previous version of Paralles, Photoshop PS3, Excel and Word (Rosetta), a couple of text editors, three browsers, and an ANCIENT game (Spaceward Ho) I'm surprised it runs as smoothly as it does with only 2GB of RAM on a 1st gen MBP.

And incidentally, I agree that Quicklook turned out to be the killer "above the hood" feature, and I'd have thought it useless. For me though the actual killer feature has been the VASTLY improved Finder integration with servers, and the built-in ARD client.

8. theman macrumors 6502a

the only problems i have with leopard just have to do with the fact that it was released less than 3 months ago. all the concepts are good, it just need to be polished, and the stability needs to be there.

by the way, where on earth is 10.5.2???????? :(

9. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

It's that different. You'd be *amazed* how much software can vary between computers and users.

10. one1 macrumors 65816

Is Boot Camp BETA stabile on 10.4? If so I might just kick back with Tiger for at least until 10.5.2, or until they fix the things that are broke. Whichever comes first.

(a) compatibility
    (b) stability
    (c) (blank space for future issue I have not found yet)

There is nothing wrong with running tiger, it isn't a downgrade IMO, but once they FINALLY get Leo hammered out Tiger will be a downgrade....... as for now I think hanging out on Tiger waiting for a fix to Leo (hopefully in 10.5.2) is not going to hurt my feelings any as long as Boot Camp Beta is stabile in 10.4.

11. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'm still using Tiger, and have no plans to downgrade to Leopard. It does everything I need it to, and stays out of my way. Cheers to sticking with what works, instead of upgrading because Apple said so.

12. aaron.lee2006 thread starter macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

Well I installed BootCamp when I was running Leopard so I'm still using the latest drivers anyway. So yes, as of right now it is stable for me.

13. GNice macrumors 6502

Leopard has been great to me. Glad others find Tiger suits them...but for me Leopard has been outstanding from a speed and stability standpoint. Plus I like the way it looks much, much better. As they say, "different strokes for different folks". :)