Never thought I'd say this but..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wizzerandchips, Jun 9, 2011.

1. wizzerandchips macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

.. Have just played with a samsung galaxy 11 and I love it, better than my iPhone 4 I think ! , am I now commuted to hell?

2. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

3. Skika macrumors 68030

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I think it's just new gadget glee that you're feeling. I've tried a couple of Android phones in the past (namely a Galaxy S and a Nexus S) and thought they were awesome to begin with, but after a little while I longed for my iPhone again. New is exciting, but not necessarily better. These flash new Android phones do have their merits, but none have the overall high-quality experience that the iPhone does.

This is purely my opinion, of course. :)

5. yourmother macrumors regular

im leaning this way too. I really want a bigger screen to upgrade from my 3gs. iOS played catch up this time but icloud seems great.

Also another reason is that I'm on Softbank and they are terrible, the att of Japan. So I'm thinking about switching to Docomo with the galaxy 2. However I wonder if I will regret the move after a few weeks.

6. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

New smart phones are like new iPod competitors back in the day:

• They rock the check list boxes
    • You ooh and ahh when you first take them out of the box
    • They do indeed have some nice features
    • But once you start to use it day in and day out you realize how much you missed about the Apple ecosystem, and how no one else can match the overall usefulness and fun of the iPod

Fast-forward 10 years and we are seeing the exact same thing with smart phones compared to the iPhone. Other companies can match or surpass the iPhone in features on a check list, but none of them have iTunes (or iCloud), or work so ideally with Macs, and just have the fit and finish of the iPhone.

They look great at first, but use them day in and day out and you realize there have been some tradeoffs in your life.

7. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

That's a bit ignorant. I agree with you in general but you shouldn't simply brush off non-apple products like that. I've used my friend's Samsung galaxy S2 or whatever and its quite impressive. He still loves it, and I can't really fault it other than the use of plastics etc compared to my iPhone (which uses metal and glass of course).

8. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

It's not a bit ignorant, it's a reflection of what competitors have to deal with in the case of Apple as the iPod decade showed. You cannot just compare tech with tech and be done with it. Apple has an entire ecosystem that works well together. If you cannot duplicate that, you are at a disadvantage regardless of what tech widgets are included in the device.

9. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

I'm aware of that entirely, trust me. I just purchased a new iMac and all my android phone-loving and PC-owning friends (who are all nerds, aye) keep going on about the specs, like how their PC has an i7 processor (which they'll never ever need) and their phones have 8mp cameras that I still can't really see the vast benefit of when compared to my iPhone's camera. I totally agree with you on that part but at the same time I'm quite impressed with Samsung's ability to rip off Apple and actually do it rather well (finally). I'd probably never buy one but the S2's android OS is actually quite nice and Apple's acknowledged that with the fact that they're copying some of its features in iOS5.

The ecosystem is nice and is probably the main reason I'd stick with my iPhone but I still disagree with your comparison of today's smartphone market to the MP3 market a few years ago. Apple's definitely recognised Android as a threat as it is its own ecosystem for Apple's competitors to use. Back in the day iPod competitors did not have such a platform.

10. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

Well, it is certainly true that the smart phone market is far bigger than the music player market. The phone market is so vast, no one company will ever dominate it the way the PC market was or the music player market was. So sure, there are differences. But my comparison wasn't about market domination but about comparing tech to tech. It wasn't enough to just match (or even surpass) an iPod's specs to cause iPods to go out of favor. And today it's not enough to match (or even surpass) an iPhone's specs to cause iPhones to go out of favor.

Android phones will continue to sell well.

iPhones will continue to sell well.

But just saying, hey, check out how cool this new phone is won't convince most people that it's time to abandon the iPhone. The picture is much bigger than just check list specs.

11. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Couldn't say it any better myself :D

12. MotionxxUSxx macrumors 6502

I totaly agree. I just played with the atrix for the last month. Loved it at first but by the end of the month I couldn't wait to get back to my iphone.