Never thought of this. Apps and Computer Monitors

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Canon Rock, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Canon Rock macrumors member

I was wondering... Can't we "Get" free apps without having to jailbreak the ipod? I mean aren't the files just like normal files such as music/videos (Say you have a music file in one computer, you transfer it to another computer, the music still plays so why not the Apps?) If the answer is yes to non-jailbreaking. Is there a site out there that hosts these apps (Dont link please I just want to make sure)

As for my last question. Is it possible to hook up the ipod touch (3g) to a pc monitor or a related monitor? If so how do I do it?

Thank you very much guys.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not sure about the monitor question. As for apps, you are right that apps are like any other computer file, and you can transfer them from computer to computer, and they will work -- if you are logged in to the same iTunes account you used to purchase them. As I understand it, what Apple does is add a security code to an app when you buy them, and this code is tied to your iTunes account. iTunes checks this code while installing apps to your ipod/iphone. If you are logged into the correct iTunes account, the apps transfer, if not, install fails. Cracked apps bypass this security check, but you need a jailbroken ipod/iphone to do so. It is against the rules of this forum to discuss cracked apps, but I hope an explanation of why you can't just copy apps from your friends to use on your device is not considered stepping over the line.

3. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

You would need a provision file corresponding to the App as with AdHoc beta distribution. They are DRMd.

4. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Yes, look up VNC and what it does, then look for a VNC app for the iPod and a VNC app for your computer.

Re your first question, the very definition of jailbreaking is allowing the ipod/iPhone to run unauthorised code. So no, I don't think so. If you're not JB'd then you can only load on the phone what iTunes allows you to load. Having an unapproved app in your possession would do you no good at all.

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

The reason you cannot get "free" apps is because iTunes verifies Apps (idk how) but you need appsync or installulous to get "free" apps. If this is not what you are talking about let me know.

6. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

I am not hijacking the thread...but i want to know if jailbreaking void your warranty? and if we take the ipod/iphone for repair would the genius know that it has been jailbroken?

i was thinking of jailbreaking my cousin's ipod but wanted to know if it is worth it to do so...

7. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Restore the ipod before you go. They cannot tell afterwards

8. Canon Rock thread starter macrumors member

Hmm thanks but I was wondering if I can just plug my ipod touch on to a moniter without pc/laptop etc. Just the moniter itself?

9. bmb012 macrumors 6502

I believe there's a jailbreak app that lets you output video through the official dock thing, but I don't know of any other way.

And no, sorry, you'll have to jailbreak your phone to cheat companies out of profit. Sometimes is actually takes effort to steal, imagine that :rolleyes:

In case you haven't noticed, I think that's an awful reason to jailbreak.

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't think a cable exists that connects an ipod directly to a computer monitor. There are cables that connect ipod to a TV. I don't know if there are apps, jailbreak or official, that lets you display anything other than pictures and videos from the ipod onto the TV.