Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

booth22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
Sorry for the confusion and thanks to those who explained the forum rule on soliciting donations!

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
Solicitation for free Graphic Design Service is not allowed in this forum.

Graphic Design is a paid profession just like your scuba business. Hire a Graphic Designer to create your logo, it is a valid business expense.
:mad:

pinktank

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
not allowed, that's interesting, what if there are some graphic deigners who likes sharing, we are not all capitalists after all

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
not allowed, that's interesting, what if there are some graphic deigners who likes sharing, we are not all capitalists after all

We had a big old thread on this and it was decided by the mods to stop all the 'free' work threads. Any 'work' should be put in the marketplace.

Personally as this company gets paid for their services I find it appauling that they are trying to get their main identity (an expensive and important aspect of any business) done for free so I agree with jerryrock.

JasonElise1983

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Between a rock and a midget
i agree. If they were a not-for-profit or a non-profit company, that's fine. Designing for the greater good is one of my favorite things, but a for-profit company asking for a handout is rediculous. Of course logo design is easy right? Just throw some text and a graphic element in and it's done. Should only take like 3 minutes, tops. Sorry, i have no problem helping people out, but it's sad that people expect it to be so easy and cheap (read: free) now days.

-JE

Lunja

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2005
Lincoln UK
A few questions- you're a scuba club right? And scuba diving involves staying underwater? So why choose a floatation device as your logo? :p

If you have any budget for this project, I really would speak to a graphic designer, who could hopefully tailor your logo to express your company's values. Otherwise, grab a copy of PS and have a play- it won't bite ;)

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
NO-SPEC!, sorry it had to be said.

You wouldn't ask a surgeon to operate on you for nothing so why is it ok for someone to ask a designer to work for nothing?

The reality is that I can't buy equipment, pay my bills or for that matter buy groceries by drawing an image as payment, if a designer invests time, resources and effort they should be rewarded the same way every other profession is (e.g. with proper payment).

Hire a designer, trust me it will be worth it when you have a great looking brand for the company it will more than pay for itself with increased revenue.

booth22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
NO-SPEC!, sorry it had to be said.

You wouldn't ask a surgeon to operate on you for nothing so why is it ok for someone to ask a designer to work for nothing?

The reality is that I can't buy equipment, pay my bills or for that matter buy groceries by drawing an image as payment, if a designer invests time, resources and effort they should be rewarded the same way every other profession is (e.g. with proper payment).

Hire a designer, trust me it will be worth it when you have a great looking brand for the company it will more than pay for itself with increased revenue.

Interesting site you linked to, I especially enjoyed the section on pro bono work. :D Perhaps it's that is doesn't quite fit my situation, but there are some flawed examples/analogies on that site. Best of luck to the group however, as I can see why they would be upset.

That said, I don't think I fit the bill of what you're promoting. I haven't lured anyone in with promises of payment, I thought I made it clear that I was looking for a volunteer in my orginal post. Someone who enjoyed doing logo/design work- be it a pro as it appears many of you are, but more than likely I was thinking of someone who just enjoys tinkering with Photoshop or like and has fun making designs. For example, I enjoy taking underwater photographs, and while not my career, I put a lot into it. That isn't to say I would thumb my nose at someone who was looking for a few pictures to put on their website. I'm no pro, and understand such. I just enjoy taking photos and sharing them.

And to your question of "Why is it ok for someone to ask a designer to work for nothing?" Well... why isn't it ok to seek a volunteer (apparently not on this forum of course) to do some work? As long as they know the terms ahead of time- which seems to be a mistake made (Just say No! aritcle) on the site you sent me to. (Of course I'd have hoped a professional designer would have figured out to get a contract, especially the second time around.)

I suppose my target audience was slightly different that what I got in this forum. And as mentioned before, sorry for posting this here, I wasn't aware it wasn't allowed.

In any event, thanks to those who have contacted me, it is greatly appreciated.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
I am sorry if my previous comments came off harsh I didn't mean to offend, I have no problem working pro-bono for non-profit organisations but I do feel if it's for a business the any work (not just design) should be viewed as a business transaction (either payment or strategic work trade).

I don't want sound negative but I do think anything that adds to the overall branding and image of the organisation should been seen a a business expense and therefore handed to professional.

Businesses will go to an accountant for their tax, a project manager for any big project they can't manage on their own, cleaners to clean their office but I have notice most smaller organisations see very little value in higher a designer to develop what it in most part the absolute first contact any client will have with their brand (e.g. logo, web site, brochure, ad, etc).

When design and branding are done correctly by an expert the results are always positive for the company.

booth22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2007
Businesses will go to an accountant for their tax, a project manager for any big project they can't manage on their own, cleaners to clean their office but I have notice most smaller organisations see very little value in higher a designer to develop what it in most part the absolute first contact any client will have with their brand (e.g. logo, web site, brochure, ad, etc).

Well, we're about as small as it gets (husband and wife) so we've not hired anyone to do anything (although based in our home, I'm guessing my wife wouldn't mind a cleaning staff).

I see where you're coming from, but since almost all of our work is donated to kids/parents we're trying to do this as inexpensive as possible. I'm just hoping for a logo that we enjoy- not something that will neccessarily bring in the $. I'm not doing this to get rich by any means, just because we like to teach.

Like I said, we have a (homemade) website, most of the gear we use for classes has been donated for the kids, we run the afterschool program on donations, etc. We were just hoping to have a design seperate of the afterschool club for various reasons. I'm not looking to pull in business with a fancy logo, teaching is a hobby for us we just thought a logo would be a nice addition. And I suppose we were looking for (and perhaps have found) people who do design for a hobby and wouldn't mind taking a crack at it.

I don't know if it's a case of our website makes us look more impressive than we are, or the business term is polarizing in this setting. I didn't think there would be such a reaction against it, but I can see where the pro's are coming from to be sure. As I said, I guess I was looking for help from people who enjoy the work, but perhaps who don't make it a career.

Thanks for your constructive comments and insight.

perp

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2008

Graphic Design is a paid profession just like your scuba business. Hire a Graphic Designer to create your logo, it is a valid business expense.

OMG i totally agree. it's like when companies do design contests just so they could get a free design.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

I'm confused. In just the last week there have been threads requesting feedback, reviews, help, and assistance with ALL types of graphic images. What makes this request different?

Seriously, I'm interesting in knowing because I see "can you help me with this graphic..." posted here all the time and people are always replying.

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
I'm confused. In just the last week there have been threads requesting feedback, reviews, help, and assistance with ALL types of graphic images. What makes this request different?

Seriously, I'm interesting in knowing because I see "can you help me with this graphic..." posted here all the time and people are always replying.

The OP (a commercial business) is asking for someone to design their logo for free .

Others ask for specific program help while creating their own images.

Forum Rule #5 "Advertising/soliciting. Using the forums for advertising or for commercial business deals and offers. See the MacRumors About page if you want to buy advertising at the site. Threads started for the purpose of advertising products, services, or businesses, building traffic at other websites, soliciting donations or contest entries, offering jobs, etc. will be deleted. Memberships created solely for such purposes will be banned."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.