Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rossip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
NeverWinter Nights 2 has been removed from the Mac App Store with no warning about 2 weeks ago. I only found this out today. Aspyr recommends that people that bought it, back it up (to a DVD-DL, external drive, etc). Initially, it was totally gone from the App Store (couldn't be redownloaded) but since April 5th, redownloading is once again possible for people who bought it. Aspyr hasn't said how long customers will be able to redownload the game. Also, Aspyr has yet to comment on why they would not warn customers in advance when a license to a game they sell is about to expire.

http://support.aspyr.com/entries/21233386-back-up-your-macapp-copy-of-neverwinter-nights-2

kikuchiyo

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I was able to re-download after calling them (seems like Apple allowed re-downloads the day I called) but before that went into place, they were willing to send me a disc if I sent them my iTunes receipt.

However, the really awful thing about it was that they had it on sale for .99 cents a week or so prior. Obviously it was because they knew their digital distribution rights were ready to expire, but they never mentioned that. That little bit of trickery has really soured me on Aspyr and Mac gaming.

rossip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 13, 2011
I just got this from Aspyr support:

Aspyr Technical Support, Apr 13 01:23 pm (CDT):
The App Store version will continue to be available for redownload for customers who purchased it before it was discontinued. Aspyr was unable to notify customers due to contractual obligations with the original PC developers.
Aspyr Support

Good news about redownloading, but I'm skeptical about the "contractual obligations" part. I have a feeling I'm being lied to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.