New 1.0.3 Firmware for iPod Classic

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Phuz01, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Phuz01 macrumors member

I just went to sync my 160GB Classic, and there is new firmware available. Don't see any information on any of the normal Mac sites. Anybody know what it includes beyond those ambiguous "bug fixes"?

2. XxCH3AT3RxX macrumors regular

Yeah if anyone finds out post here. I am curious too. Since my 80GB Classic is sitting in the clost until Christmas. Do they release new firmware versions a lot?

3. JMP macrumors member

JMP

Yeah, the same thing is happening to me as I'm typing....
    The only thing I'm noticing is that it's now synchronizing again and saying "Optimizing Photos...". So I'm assuming the update has something to do with that...

4. writeous macrumors regular

Well Cover Flow seems a little stiffer to me for some reason as far as its movements when you scroll with the click wheel, but its faster now, so I guess that evens it out. It fixed the "search" for me. Before the update, i would get the correct search results, but when I clicked one, it would take me to any other song but the one I searched for. The click wheel is alot more reponsive now too. Great update.

5. macdim macrumors 6502

When you eject the iPod, it now shows a progress bar on the iPod's screen, but still claims you can disconnect while the bar is active.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Good, I want one, but the click wheel wasn't responsive enough last time I checked.

7. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Well, this was the 3rd firmware update since its launch back in August. the first 2 updates came quite quickly, but this last one everybody had been waiting for for about 2 months or something I believe.

Fabian

8. assscat macrumors regular

This one's messed up the ordering of my TV shows. Was in chronological order, now with the new update it's not anymore... :mad:

Edit: OK, what it's done is reversed the chronological ordering, so first is now last and vice versa. That I can live with, but it's a strange thing to happen – now my latest TV shows are at the top of list instead of at the bottom as before… oh well.

9. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Mine did the same thing with optimizing photos, mine optimized and then resynced. No problems with anything yet but I'll post back if i come across something.

10. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

Safari seems snappier :D

I noticed Coverflow on my 80GB Classic runs better. I'm not waiting for the images to load as I scroll through them.

11. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

They did a similar upgrade to the 3G iPod nano and I noticed that, too. HOPEFULLY, they made the battery life indicator work more correctly.

12. Mushrooshi macrumors regular

13. bigbadnewill macrumors 6502

My battery indicator seems to be working far more acurately now. It dropped really fast, and then survived on nearly the lowest level for ages. It now seems like a more constant depletion, which is great. Still early days though, so not 100% sure, but it looks good so far.

14. fabianjj macrumors 6502

Yeah coverflow seems faster, although the images load slower. But I still can't switch the clicker to speaker, I can only choose "off" or "both". With my 1g Nano "off","Speaker","Heeadphones" and "Both" were all selectible.

15. dronkert macrumors newbie

With 1.0.0 - 1.0.2 the click was on the speaker by default, now on 1.0.3 it switched to headphones without me touching any setting...

16. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I hope it fixes the bug where music randomly stops when you are playing through the docking port and starting playback using a remote control.

17. NealP macrumors newbie

Well its fixed the speakers menu problem when using the Ipod HIFI. Speakers menu option is now on the main menu!!:) Thats pleased me loads!!

18. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I noticed that with the iPod nano 1.0.3 firmware upgrade, the battery indicator actually works correctly for a change. Even playing 3-4 hours of podcasts encoded in 32 kbps and 64 kbps MP3 barely drops the battery level indicator now. :D

19. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Other changes: Clicker volume is louder through headphones at higher volume levels. Backlight does not turn on when hold switch is toggled while music is playing.

20. Phuz01 thread starter macrumors member

For the better, photos that only displayed in slide show view now display if you navigate to the photo and select it.

Another change (and not for the better) - if you own the Phase game and you attempt to start the game, the iPod resets itself. Repeatedly.

21. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

22. phairphan macrumors 6502

phairphan

Another apparent fix. I have quite a few playlists, almost 200 smart and static, and my 160GB Classic has had a lot of difficulty scrolling through the lists. It would scroll through a few and then stop. It was almost like it was waiting to cache something. It would then scroll through a few more and repeat the process. It took well over a minute to scroll entirely through my playlists. 1.0.3 appears to have fixed this problem.

23. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Some new video related stuff:
    Improvements that I have noticed:

- The Clicker now has options for Off, Speaker, Headphones and Both.

- When you scroll down to now playing on the main menu, when a song does not have album art, it now shows the song name, artist and album, rather than just the song name.

- Playlists are ordered in the order they are in iTunes, rather than just alphabetically.

- Music videos are now listed under their artists, rather than just all together.

Unfortunately, Cover flow is still listed by artist, rather than album artist. Hopefully they will fix that next time.

24. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Mine does not have these options. :confused::confused:

25. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Ah, well maybe that feature is exclusive to the nano then. I assumed that 1.0.3. would be the same on the nano and classic. But the 5G never had those options either, so maybe Apple just think it's not necessary on full size iPods. :confused: