New 10.5" Smart Cover

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by lyngo, Jun 6, 2017.

1. lyngo macrumors 6502

One of the things that I didn't like in the 9.7" iPad Pro was the overhang from the Smart Cover. It didn't line up flush with the edge like on all the previous 9.7" iPads. I was wondering if anyone has seen to read about the overhang on the new 10.5" iPad Pro Smart Cover or not? I've looked around and can't find any reviews from the hands on demonstration area that tech reviewers had the chance to mess around with.

Thanks in advance.

2. profets macrumors 68040

Excellent question! Maybe now with there being no more rear case option the smart cover sits flush at the edge.

3. cjhacker23 macrumors newbie

cjhacker23

I want to know this too! It was so annoying, that cover--I returned mine after discovering how poorly it fit. On Apple's website, that silicone cover gets an average of 1.5 stars with countless complaints, so I would be surprised if they didn't address the issue.

The reason Apple gave for that overhang (or at least the reason the Apple Store employee gave when I spoke with him about it) was that it was designed to work with the back cover, and when both are on the iPad the covers match. So the clue that tells me that *maybe* the new covers fit is that they aren't offering a back cover for the new 10.5 and 12 inch models. I think these covers are designed to fit a bare iPad (i.e. fit properly).

Fingers crossed!

4. eneisch macrumors 6502a

If you look closely at the Smart Cover pictures for the 10.5 on Apple.com it appears there is still a slight overhang. You can see it when you look at the case folded into a stand. It looks like the edge of the case sticks out a little from the iPad.

5. cjhacker23 macrumors newbie

cjhacker23

ha, i noticed that too! but if you look at the picture of all the new ipad accessories together (it was a slide during the keynote presentation), the ipad covers seem to sit flush around all sides. we'll see!

6. profets macrumors 68040

I'm trying to look at different shots, but I almost feel like they may be generated photos and not necessarily exact. I dunno, when looking at the bottom of the iPad page the yellow smart cover on the silver iPad kind of looks flush with the edge?

7. cjhacker23 macrumors newbie

cjhacker23

i just received my leather smart cover from fed ex a few moments ago. i'm looking at it, and it looks lovely. but will it fit? how to tell? i'm rooting around for a ruler that has mm markers...

8. profets macrumors 68040

Lol nice. We have faith in you. Do not fail us in finding the truth.

9. cjhacker23 macrumors newbie

cjhacker23

okay, according to my measuring tape, the cover (not counting the magnetic side tab portion) is ~173.5mm (W) and ~250mm (H). Which matches pretty much exactly the stated dimensions of the new 10.5 inch model on Apple's website.

So, on paper at least, it should fit!

(Oh, and the cover is 107 grams, if anybody's curious.)

10. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

The weight is helpful thanks!

I'm assuming this will weigh more than the other non leather ones?

11. cjhacker23 macrumors newbie

cjhacker23

the old 9.7 silicone smart covers were 102 grams, so no i actually think they might weigh the same.

12. TorontoSS macrumors 6502

Oh I didn't know that. I do know that the iPad Air smart covers were heavier than the Air 2 covers. But I don't know what the difference was.

13. lyngo thread starter macrumors 6502

So... I've looked over the discussion threads on here and haven't found any answers to my original question. Is there an overhang on the Smart Cover for the new iPad 10.5"?

14. gatorknight904 macrumors 6502

gatorknight904

It appears to be a slight overhang. The cover slides around on the glass a little bit. I can push it out and make it sit flush.

[​IMG]

15. lyngo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the photo. It doesn't look as severe as the iPad Pro 9.7" smart covers from a year ago.

16. the future macrumors 65816

I got a new leather smart cover for my 12.9 II. There is no overhang anymore.

17. profets macrumors 68040

Friend of mine did the same and was just telling me. I wonder at what point they changed the Smart Cover to the flush version on the store since it otherwise looks like the same product they've been selling for 18months.

18. the future macrumors 65816

Well, the leather smart covers are a brand new product! Before, i.e. for the old 12.9, there were only polyurethane smart covers available. The only open question is if those are re-released as flush versions as well.

19. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I think it happened because they stopped selling the back case. My guess is that the overhang was to accommodate the cover sitting flush with the edge of the case.

20. snapper64 macrumors regular

I've tried the midnight blue in both leather and polyurethane the cover sits flush to the edge for each.

21. AidenL macrumors 6502

22. profets macrumors 68040

Ah, should have mentioned that, he got a polyurethane Smart Cover for his 12.9.

23. the future macrumors 65816

Ok, good to know they changed those as well.

24. Hanterdro, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017

Hanterdro macrumors regular

Hanterdro

How much does the silicon cover exactly weight? Shouldn't it be a little heavier after it's larger?

25. hansenc macrumors 6502

hansenc

Can confirm as well. The new leather smart case does not overhang like the old polyurethane case.