New 10.8 MBP Mountain Lion and SSD's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xiudo, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Xiudo macrumors newbie

Xiudo

Hello eveyone I just got my new MBP. I intend to install my SSD in it. Currently there is a copy of 10.8 running on the machine since its new and all.

I have been reading and watching videos on installing the SSD. it would seem that I need to Download Mountain Lion to get the DMG to write it to a thumb drive. It appears that i don't own a copy of Mountain Lion in the app store. is the copy they give me a one time thing?

My Noobies question::confused:
    To install ML do i need to buy a copy from the app store or is there a better way to do this that I am not seeing?

2. robvas macrumors 68020

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you already have Mountain Lion to begin with, you can use Internet Recovery and it will download ML automatically.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You don't need to buy it. Just pop the new SSD in and command-r boot. The system will see there is no OS or recovery partition and it will go to Internet recovery and DL the recovery image. You will need to logon to a WPA wifi access point to do this.

Once the recovery image is downloaded and comes on the screen, start Disk Utility and format the drive in Mac OS Extended. Then quit Disk Util and click install OS. After the 4.7GB OS image is downloaded it will install and you will be all set.

Or, if you want to avoid all that downloading, just use an external USB drive to make a Time Machine backup. Then after you put in the SSD, you can option key boot to the Time Machine disk. You will get the same recovery screen I mentioned above, only it will be running of the Time Machine disk. Then just format first and click restore. This will restore the OS and all your data.

5. Xiudo thread starter macrumors newbie

Xiudo

Thank you every:apple:ne :D

Now I play the waiting game... :D