new 100gig hd but 75 free with osx...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by arcterix100, Jun 30, 2007.

1. arcterix100 macrumors newbie

hey guys,
    just got my macbook back with new seagate momentus 100gig 7200rpm drive. I formatted the disk and it said 93 gig available... and then when osx installed with the last update.. 75gigs left.. this seem weid to me.. when i had my ibook with 30gig haddrive osx didnt take 17gig and it indicated 30gig capacity...

Can someone help me out.. is my drive crapped? i did repair permission and no change...
    thanks
    pete

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

no mate thats perfectly normal space to be taken up. if you want u could delete 1gb worth of printer drivers and stuff which im sure u will not need, there are heeps of things that you can delete. it just depends on what u need. garageband takes up a lot of space aswell

3. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Its the languages, and printer drivers like DoFoT9 said

And Garageband is huge due to all the sound files.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Welcome to MR. Please, use the Search function of the site to look up answers before starting a new thread. This question has been asked and answered approximately monthly for the two years have been here.

100 Gb decimal (1 Gb = 1,000,000,000 bytes) = 93 Gb binary (1 Gb = 1024 Mb = 1024 x 1024 Kb)

Run DeLocalizer (available through www.versiontracker.com) to remove unneeded foreign language resources, which will save approx 1 Gb.

As mentioned, your included apps take some room. As do printer drivers and other System resources. HOWEVER unless you know what you are doing, do NOT delete or rename any of the Apple-created folders or resources.

5. arcterix100 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Jasoco macrumors 6502

When I install a new OS X, the first thing I turn off is the Printer Drivers (Don't use a printer at all), the Fonts (It's foreign ones. I only type in English.). This saves GIGS of space. My OS installation ends up being a mere 2.5GB not counting apps.

It also saves a lot of time installing.