new 11 inch MBA doesnt lay flat

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Cjshino, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Cjshino macrumors regular

I bought a 2014 mba model at bestbuy a couple days ago and while on a flat surface the bottom right of the laptop wobbles when i apply little pressure. It isnt bad, just a little bit but its there. Is this serious that I just return it? I just returned a different mba and i dont wanna go back and do it again..

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

There is no user adjustment you can made, return. In fact if they give you grief, just invoke the 15/30 days free return period and buy it from Apple instead so you don't have to deal with the crap.

3. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Return it. As much as Mac's cost. You should be 100 percent satisfied. If you don't want to exchange it at the same store is there another BB within your area that you could go to? I know how you feel, I had multiple returns for a Mac at BB a couple of years ago. In the end, you will use this notebook everyday and your happiness is more important than worrying about what a BB employee may think of you coming back again. I'd swap it if you aren't happy with it.

4. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Ok, admit it, did you sit on it, or abuse it?

5. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I've owned several laptops like this, MacBooks included. Easy fix, place the middle part of the laptop on one knee, and press down on two opposing corners on the top lid. Fixed :D

Yes I'm serious.

6. joshlalonde macrumors 6502

joshlalonde

No.

7. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I've completely taken apart and modded many laptops. Never had a single issue from the few that wobbled by applying a bit of force to level the chassis. To me, such minor issues are not worth the hassle of returning and exchanging.

8. newellj macrumors 601

The problem is that if someone with less experience and expertise than you tries this and fouls up the computer they have absolutely voided their warranty. If you're experienced and accept the risks, great, proceed at your own risk. For everyone else, a warranty replacement is far more prudent.

9. bjet767 macrumors 6502a

Apple will replace it 100% Do not accept such stuff.

10. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Are you sure your table is flat? I thought my MBA wobbled until I put it on a glass table. Turns out my wooden table had a barely detectable ridge.

11. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

except the risk of cracking the screen, board, or something else.

return/exchange it

12. Cjshino thread starter macrumors regular

So i went to bestbuy and got a different mba. No wobble :cool:

13. viperGTS macrumors 65816

14. catalyst07 macrumors member

Mine did this when I picked it up. Easy fix– I grabbed the left and right side of it, palms facing eachother, and just gave it a little twist and set it back down and the feet leveled out. Takes 5 seconds.

^ to the poster above, I also have a Viper GTS, that's funny!

15. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Ah, nice! Which year? That's my dream car :D

16. catalyst07 macrumors member

1997 Red, no stripes.

When you get one, and this is going to sounds controversial but isn't, make sure you remove the rear muffler and replace it with straight pipes. This is how it should have come from the factory.

It's at most about 5% louder, but sounds a lot more exotic. This is because the car still has cats and a resonator which keep it very quiet. Plus you save about 30lbs. Best mod I ever did to a viper(I've had 3). You can't do this with the Gen 1's because of the side exhaust. The gen 2's sounds much better

17. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

I'm sure it was in his front pants pocket when he sat down ;)

Congrats on getting it exchanged. I'd have returned it also. I wouldn't want to type on a wobbly keyboard. And a bent laptop would be about the same.

18. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Excellent, thanks for the advice!

19. SmOgER macrumors 6502a

I actually got fed up with uneven (SLIGHTLY) tables so I just bought these: [​IMG] (the smallest ones)

Cheap, effective (soft/self-adjusting rubber pads deal with uneven surfaces perfectly), holding great, and I can even now place my MBA slightly harder on the table without worrying about too big of an impact force. :D

20. Cjshino thread starter macrumors regular

thats smart. i may buy that because my air is slightly unbalanced.