New 11'' MBA vs. Retina iPad

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Collider, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Collider, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013

Collider macrumors regular

So, my main computer is the 15'' rMPB (June 2012 model, with the 2.6GHz i7), and it suits me really well. I've recently started doing a lot more high-intensity writing, though, and I'm looking at getting a more portable second machine so I can continue to work away from the desk without lugging the MBP around.

I'd previously looked at the retina iPad due to its portability and my eyes being used to retina screens now... but I've been kind of wary of how useful it would be without an iOS version of Scrivener to work with. With the release of the new MBA with its improved battery life, though, I'm now leaning instead towards the base 11'' Air. At the moment, I'm looking to be upgrading the RAM to 8GB but keeping the base 1.3GHz i5 processor.

Given that I'd be using this as a secondary machine predominantly for writing purposes, and bearing in mind I'd get an academic discount on macs but not on iPads, does this decision make sense, or would it be overkill? Would I miss the retina screen? And if it is the right call to go for the Air, am I right in assuming that the RAM upgrade is worth it but the processor is not?

2. Xenden macrumors regular

If I were to be comparing the two, I'd go base 11" vs. 128 Gb iPad. To pair with the iPad, I'd get the Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover. Hereis a review of it by a really great reviewer, basically any concern a normally techie would have over their product, he goes over it.

A base 11" would be $949 plus tax a iPad plus cover would be $899 or $1029 depending on if you get LTE or not.

3. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

You are comparing the two?

No comparison fella. The iPad is a truncated glory browser.

The MBA is a fully functioning swiss army knife.

4. sachaullymce macrumors newbie

If I were You..

I will sell my rMBP 15", no buy iPad.

get MBA 11" with custom spec:
    - 1.7GHz i7
    - 8GB RAM
    - 512 GB SSD

Plus Cinema Display :)

5. Collider thread starter macrumors regular

Heh, I don't think I'm going to need all that! I definitely don't plan on selling the rMBP, because it does too much stuff that the Air can't, even at full spec, so regardless of my purchase the rMBP will continue to be my main. I just need a decent second machine that'll let me be more mobile with my writing and won't feel laggy.

6. sk3tch macrumors regular

I bought an 11" MBA with the intention of replacing my iPad 4. I love my iPad 4 - but ever since I upgraded from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5 I use it less and less. I feel the MBA will seal the deal. If not - more toys...heh...

7. Bottomsup macrumors regular

Curious what about the iPhone 4 to 5 makes you want to use the ipad less?

8. sachaullymce macrumors newbie

Agree..the rMBP is indeed a Power House ..

Btw I used to a be a contributor writer in a magazine and found that I need to type-in right away as I got ideas, so I need something so I need a gear that I can type almost anywhere even in standing mode, in this case iPad Mini worked for me..

9. sk3tch macrumors regular

My iPhone 4 was very slow for a lot of things. Now that I have an iPhone 5 it is fast enough where the browsing/etc. experience is about the same as an iPad 4. Just on a smaller screen (obviously) - so I find the need for my iPad 4 less. When I had an iPhone 4 I leaned on my iPad 4 a lot more often due to the lack of speed on my iPhone 4.

10. Ifti macrumors 68000

I'm looking to do the same. I'm going to sell my MacBook Pro 13 (in sig) and purchase a rMBP 15" to use as my main powerhouse system for light video editing. I'm then handing my ipad2 across to the wife and kids and picking up a MBA 11" instead to use for couch surfing and to carry around with me etc.

I will max spec both in order to increase longevity as I not end to keep them for several years.

11. someoldguy macrumors 65816

Go for the 11" Air with 8gig . It's got a bigger screen , a real keyboard , and it's not a whole lot bigger than an iPad . I received one of the original 11" C2D ones from my department when I retired from academia 2 years back .(And I thought those guys were cheapskates) Been using it as a travel computer for general correspondence / mail / writing / photo storage(but not editing) , and it works really well .

12. Collider thread starter macrumors regular

Sounds like my instincts were right then. Thanks all. :)

Going by some of the other threads in this forum, am I right to assume that there's no need to upgrade the processor to the i7 unless I'm planning on using it for really high-end stuff?

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Correct. It's pointless.

14. AppleMark macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

They are not really comparable.

One is a fully functional computer and the other is a giant iPod touch.

15. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    BS, that is just conjecture, max it, to be your dream machine:eek:

16. B... macrumors 68000

B...

I'm pretty sure an i7 won't make writing any faster.

17. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'd get an iPad simply because I hate duplicates. Since you already have a MacBook Pro, I don't see much point of having another MacBook.

In your case, all you need is writing. Pages for iPad is a great application and you can get a bluetooth keyboard if you're not use to the touch screen one. For me, the touch screen keyboard is pretty awesome once you get used to it. The only thing is that the on screen keyboard used up half of the screen lol.

Another point is the Retina Display on the iPad, the reading experience on a Retina Display is quite a lot better than a normal screen.

Also, the iPad is a lot cheaper too. Good luck with your final decision.

18. Collider thread starter macrumors regular

That was exactly my logic when figuring the i5 would be fine. I'm really used to kitting out my purchases with the best of everything when I buy, so it's a challenge in self-discipline as much as anything else to stick with the lower-level processor on the reasoning that I really don't need the better one. If I needed it, I'd take it in a heartbeat, but if I don't, I'm gonna side with common sense. :)

I enjoy the touchscreen typing on my iPhone, admittedly, though that's more for scribbling notes. Pages and other word-processing apps are one of the main things that turn me off the iPad, though, to be honest -- I use a couple of the standard text-editing apps on my phone sometimes, and it can be a real pain to have to export and re-import a bunch of individual files or pieces to and from the main Scrivener document. Being able to access the master document in Scrivener from both places is a major attraction for me.

19. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

You also lose less by going with the lower spec when it comes time to sell and upgrade.

----------

No conjecture - just pure facts.