New 11" owner has a question

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Gunner86, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Gunner86 macrumors member

Hello, i bought an 11.6" macbook air yesterday and am loving it, the only thing i don't like is it doesn't seem to like playing hd video's on youtube, is flash player for mac os x optimised to use the gpu when watching hd video's? Mu cpu usage goes up the roof when watching hd flash content. Sorry if this has been asked before but i tried searching and came up with nothing...

Thanks

Kris

2. simsaladimbamba

You could try playing the YT content back via HTML5 (www.youtube.com/html5) or use ClickToFlash (plugin or extension) to play back the H.264 encoded videos, which is less CPU intensive than Flash.

3. Extract0r macrumors newbie

MacBook Air hardware updates are expected to be released any day now.
    If you just bought yours, hold onto your receipt and return it within the 14 day return window. The updated hardware will feature i5 Sandy Bridge CPU compared to archaic Core 2 Duo. HD videos and flash will fly on the updated machines.

4. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

It should be stated that the refresh is only RUMORED to get an i5. No one knows for sure. For all we know, it could just receive a bumped Core 2 Duo. It will undoubtedly receive a thunderbolt port, however.

5. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

the only question the new 11" owner should have is... why on earth he bought the current gen when a new one is round the corner (well, literally) :D :D :D :D

6. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

I have to agree with the poster above me. The next one will solve all your problems.

7. Gunner86 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys i am already aware that the new one is coming out soon but i purchased it anyways since i don't really need a ton of horsepower since this is only my portable machine, i made the salesman aware that if the new one comes out withing the 14 day period he would see me coming back.

8. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    they don't care,return it:rolleyes:

9. jahala macrumors regular

I recently found ClickToPlugin which is a more general version of ClickToFlash. It is great because it handles silverlight and other things that require plugins. It gives you the H.264 from youtube and other sites like ClickToFlash does.

10. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

Cheffy Dave has 3 - 11" Macbook Airs in the family and is very satisfied with his, which also has an upgraded OWC 360GB SSD.

11. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I find it so disheartening that every time someone says anything about buying the current MBA people feel the need to make the buyer feel bad about his/her purchase. Most of the time they know what they bought. They're just looking for advice. You don't need to tell them... you shoulda, woulda, coulda. Like any user savvy enough to come to this message board they probably already know.

I love my 11.6 inch MBA. Base model with 2gb RAM too. I got it for 200 bucks off "used" with ZERO charge cycles and I think it's been the best Mac purchase I've made in years.

As for the video issue. Click to Flash doesn't seem to work for Firefox and the one for firefox doesn't seem to let my videos play after I enable the flash. Weird.

12. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

Check your crystal ball again

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

13. marrzie macrumors regular

O'rly?
    This is definitely the first time I have heard about this. :D:D:D:D

14. marrzie macrumors regular

Not everyone knows. I would certainly appreciate being told if I was unaware. Everyone is different though so no offense to those who prefer to not be told.

15. Drezin macrumors member

id rather keep my c2d with nvidia graphics than get the sandy bridge one... everyone's needs differ

16. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

hahahahahaha legitimately chuckled when I read this lol

17. palestofwhite macrumors newbie

And he's going to do it for a few other impressed friends... :D

18. Mr. Mustard macrumors member

Well, I needed a new laptop really bad. So I picked up a base 11" refurb for $829 the day before the $100 gift card was offered. Called Apple that day and they credited me back the $100 on my credit card. So $729 for an Air is a pretty sweet deal in my book. I'm stoked.

19. glen e macrumors 68030

Don't let som of the "experts" here get to you. Many here are so into this stuff they feel the need to sit up on a lifeguard stand and pronounce sentence on those below them.

Hogwash...I run a 2gb 11 64 for office, web and email and am totally satisfied. I bought it 60 days ago.

It all depends what you do with it.

20. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Lol, one refresh point is rumored, but the other rumor is undoubtedly going to happen. Cheers for the chuckle.

21. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

In that case, that is indeed a sweet deal and I too probably would have taken the offer. :D