"New" 12 ibook smells like smoke

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by rx7dude, Nov 30, 2011.

1. rx7dude macrumors regular

rx7dude

So after lurking on ebay and Kijji etc... for a couple of months I finally have my very own Mac laptop. :D
    It's a 12" ibook G4 6,7. I got it for $80.
    The 12" PB thread about the guy who hot rodded one with an SSD and new screen inspired me to get my own. I was wanted a PB but at this price what the hell. It's not my primary machine.

Anyhow, it's been in a smoker's house for the last few years and absolutley reeks of smoke.

Any suggestions to "air" it out?

2. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

When I first read the title I though this was going to be about the rank smelling keyboard on the G3 iBooks. Anyhoo', the only thing I can think of mate, is to rip out the battery, lift up the keyboard and give it a damn good wipe with a damp cloth and a bit of febreeze. Yuck.

3. brenden macrumors regular

brenden

All the internals are more than likely filled with that yellowish nicotine residue. If you're semi tech savvy you could probably tear it down and clean each part to your best ability using alcohol. Then id let it sit open and air out for a couple of days, then clean it again. Maybe even store it in an antistatic bag full of dryer sheets?

4. kolax macrumors G3

Even if you clean it, it'll probably always stink of smoke if it's proper honking.

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

for the outside a magic eraser...

then try this...but be carefull....place ibook inside a large plastic bag...also place a cup of vinegar inside the bag (the vinegar cup must not have a top to it...so be careful!) gently close the bag and leave it overnight....

6. rx7dude thread starter macrumors regular

rx7dude

Magic eraser? You mean one of these?
    http://www.mrclean.com/en_CA/magic-eraser.do
    Never thought of that. Is it safe?

I found this at Walmart http://www.naturesairsponge.com/

I stuck it and the ibook in a drawer overnight. It actually works pretty well. It's gotten most of the stench out to the point where at least it's doesn't stink up the whole room. I'll leave it in there for a few more days.

7. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

On tuesday I replaced the HD in a 2010 27" iMac and the client was a smoker. Even only being about a year old the inside of the iMac was really nasty. The fan and vent holes especially were very caked on and of course it also stunk like crazy. The room I did the work in stunk till the next morning.

I think tom vilsack's idea is best. Leaving it in a room with an open window pnce you take it out of the bag will also help a lot. Fresh air is good at breaking down stink.

8. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

yes "Magic eraser" they work great at bringing back the nice white color.

vinegar should work well at getting rid of smell...try this...

get a piece of white bread and place it in bowl of vinegar and place that and laptop in plastic bag over night (be careful)...smell should be gone next moring

9. rabbitjetta macrumors member

I got my old iBook and it smelled like smoke for about a month. when I wasn't using it i popped the keyboard off and left the lid up so that it was able to air out some.

10. Gage macrumors regular

You can try putting the iBook in a trash bag or box with a bunch of crumpled up newspapers.
    Not sure if it would work on a computer, but I know it works on vintage fedoras and books.

11. rx7dude thread starter macrumors regular

rx7dude

Well I'm happy to report the smell is gone. The air sponge thing did the trick. Thanks for the tip on the magic eraser. It did a great job or removing the black grime.
    I love this thing. I have a Dell laptop of similar vintage and am amazed at the difference in build quality. The G4 is also much more responsive. Plus, it's nice and silent. Perfect for listening to music streamed from my basement mac.

Attached Files: