New 12" rMBA trackpad = force touch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cjrulli, Mar 4, 2015.

1. cjrulli macrumors regular

What do you think the odds are of the new rMBA if released will have force touch? I know I read the rumor of Apple changing up the track pad for the new air to remove to button so I think it would make sense to incorporate force touch.

Thoughts?

2. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

i don’t see how force touch would transition well to a laptop just doesn’t correlate

3. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I don't like the removal of the mechanical button on the trackpad. I've been through four MacBook laptops and I love the trackpad button. I always turn off the "touch click" feature because I prefer to actually press down to "click" on something.

I hope the new trackpad works in a similar way.

4. cjrulli thread starter macrumors regular

:)

5. Airboy1466 macrumors regular

Airboy1466

guess I was wrong lol but honestly don’t think it will work well but we will just have to see once people began to actually use it

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

There isn't one

There is the Macbook, retina, force touch trackpad, core M broadwell processor,

The Macbook air as before but updated to broadwell U but NO force touch though, these won't be updated for at least another six months or more like christmas now.

There is the new rMBP broadwell and force touch Trackpad.

All of these were announced on monday and are on the apple store with all the specs available.

7. Jynto macrumors 6502

Jynto

The OP got it right - they just used the wrong name. Before Apple announced the name, we referred to the new MacBook as a 'retina MacBook Air', because honestly that name made sense. The laptop formerly known as the rMBA did indeed get a force-touch trackpad, though I think quite a few of us saw that coming.

Glad it did though, and glad this technology made it over to the 13" rMBP (15" soon), as I've spent way too much time fixing a mechanical fault that made my trackpad not click properly, so force touch would be a welcome relief in my next machine.