New 12GB iPhone soon....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gceo, Sep 13, 2007.

1. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

I found this over on macintouch.com.... Interesting.... I figured I'd cross pollinate it over here.

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Sadly that holds little water. I would love to up my iPhone to 12G, and chances are there will be one soon. This was just an ill informed sales staff.

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

Apple is more likely to go to 16GB, unless they plan to add an 8GB module to the remaining 4GB stock as a "clearinghouse" measure before they go to 2x8GB modules on the next phone. However, it makes more sense to just add another 4GB module and make them 8GB phones.

4. Bush438 macrumors member

Analyst's that actually cover Apple and speak to executives within the company only have vague information to report to the media, but the AT&T rep has insider info that a 'special limited edition 12GB' version is IN stock.

Guys, why don't we post some discussions that may actually have backing??

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Always repeat this mantra to yourself when you see something like this: Apple salespeople (and AT&T salespeople even more so, if that could be possible) know absolutely nothing about upcoming products.

6. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

doesn't flash memory only come in factors of 2? so 4, 8, 16? i've never heard of a 12gb flash device. and there certainly isn't room in there for 2 pieces of flash storage.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Yes, although in theory you could buy 16GB chips that couldn't pass all the tests, and had 4bad GB burned away from accessibility.

It's not unknown for very complicated chips to be made with spare sections onboard. They just leave the parts that work connected. This keeps the price down by raising the yield of saleable devices.

But I doubt this would be done for iPhone, or is the case here. Far, far more likely that, as you're suggesting, anyone saying "12" isn't very knowledgable.

8. gceo thread starter macrumors 6502a

gceo

Keep in mind this site is called macRUMORS. I spend time on Macintouch as well, and just wanted to cross a story over.

If I didn't mention it on a rumor site, I wouldn't be doing my job.

I agree that 12Gb is not a standard size, but then again Apple isn't a standard company.

I'm not saying that it's coming, I'm saying that AT&T thinks it's coming.... big difference.

Unless Jobs says it, it has no backing, and this site would be boring.

If it had backing, it would be MacNews, not Mac Rumors.... :)

9. mrowl macrumors regular

no... a rumor would come from a semi-credible source, not a 9.95 an hour sales person at at&t...

if that was the case, its would be macihavenoclue.com :D

10. aerospace macrumors 6502a

I actually wouldn't be surprised if a 12gig red version came out for the holidays. This limited edition would allow them to get around angering some early adopters , help boost sales, and be an interim step to a 16gig later in 2008.

They could easily say only 250,000 will be produced to be released black friday for instance.

...I would imagine them selling out in a week or 2 lol :D

11. hotsauce macrumors 6502a

9.95 plus commission, get it straight! :D

12. z28black98 macrumors regular

beat me to it!

13. aimfire macrumors regular

aimfire

Exactly... the next jump would be to 16gb, then 32gb, 64, and so on.
    This is pertaining to flash memory - traditional hard 'disk' drives are different.

14. nlivo macrumors 6502a

hahahahaha, people are such idiots. and to the guy who posted this (on the other website) she wasn't even trying to hide anything, by the sounds of it she made a mistake by saying 12gb and quickly corrected herself. sounds like it was her first day and she didn't want to stuff up.

15. stealthman1 macrumors regular

16. aimfire macrumors regular

aimfire

17. TimJim macrumors 6502a

there are 12gb flash modules so it is possible. i would think they would have gone with 16 since thats what they are using for the ipod touch and use the same whting they use for that. but i guess they could use 12.

18. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

I dont think so.
    If anything they'll go to 16gig just like the ipod touch.
    AT&T salespeople aint got no clue to whats put out by Apple, Im pretty sure that we know more about the Iphone than they do.

19. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

They probably did do 12GB to give you a reason to get an iPod Touch if your on the fence about needing the phone.