New 13" Air vs used rMBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by perry8912, Jul 18, 2013.

1. perry8912, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

perry8912 macrumors newbie

I am going to college is fall and thinking of getting a new MBA or rMBP to replace my old windows laptop.
    However, I am torn between getting the highest configuration of 13" MBA or a secondhand 13" rMBP.

13'MBA i5/8g/256g : $1339 (student discount+$100 mac gift card)
    13'rmbp: i5/8g/256g:$1300 (3 months old)

I really really like the long battery life of the new mba but the display sucks compared with rmbp and i hate the silver bezel around the screen.

Any thought? I dont want to wait the new rmbp since my budget is $1400.

2. iBio macrumors newbie

If you want to take notes with your macbook during lectures buy a MBA. Yes the retina is pretty but often power outlets in lecture halls are scarce and most of the time already taken by others. (yes the rMBP has enough battery to last through a day but if you forget to charge it...) Get a nice external display for your room and you won't really need a retina. It has also a better graphics chip for a casual gaming session.

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Does the rMBP have AppleCare? That would sway me towards the rMBP if it does. I imagine you're going to want whichever computer you get to last you through college, and AppleCare will extend that warranty for three years, which should help.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Personally, I'd go with the 13" MBA, higher resolution display (if you keep the rMBP at its native resolution) and you have an all day battery.

5. jdechko macrumors 68040

It's 3 months old, so it has 9 about months left. Otherwise some solid advice. AppleCare is almost essential for a college student who may not be able to afford a repair/ replacement.

6. ttran88 macrumors regular

What swayed me towards a 2013 MBA instead of waiting is that you still essentially see the same thing on the retina (with setting at best), but with better quality. Initially, I thought you'd see more on your screen with the retina.

7. TC25 macrumors 68020

Hate?

Then why are you 'torn'?

Get the used rMBP.

8. perry8912, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

perry8912 thread starter macrumors newbie

The apple care is so expensive. And does the macbook damages easily???

9. TC25 macrumors 68020

No.

10. SenorVvangIstMoi macrumors member

SenorVvangIstMoi

Personally would go with the MBA as the latest chip and battery is AWESOME! For us, students, the display is fine. Unless you are a pro-gamer type..
    Casual usage won't damage easily as it is very firm and sturdy. So AppleCare is quite unnecessary if you use your gadgets with care.
    Just be careful with accidental errors like water spillage.

11. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

It sounds like you already want the rMBP though.

I'd personally go with the Air. The battery is amazing, it's new, and the display is seriously not bad (especially if you color calibrate it)

Meanwhile, the rMBP you want is old, and its battery doesn't last that long. Yes, the display is better but if you're gonna be doing casual stuff like taking notes then who cares? Also, the Air is faster than the 13" rMBP.

12. robvas macrumors 68020

13. flynz4 macrumors 68040

MBA hands down. Personally... I think the MBA is Apple's premium product. This is after years of owning two 15" MBPs. Mobility is king.

Heck... I would take a used MBA over a new MBP.

/Jim

14. mattferg macrumors 6502

Not even that, as you see a little less on the Retina, it's got a usable of 1280*800 vs the Air's 1440*900

15. munakib macrumors 6502

Hey Matt can you elaborate on this? I myself love my Air's screen as the screen is so tightly packed with pixels due to 1440x900 - but i really want to know the comparison of the Air 13" screen vs 13" rMBP Retina Screen. Your comment seems intriguing.

16. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

They both would fit your needs, but the question is what is your schedule/curriculum like? And what are your charging habits usually like?

My major (engineering) usually span into the night classes, but my other classes (english and maths) are usually in the morning. At that time I had the 13" MBP, and that lasted me all day. Granted, I do have a social life and dont need to spend 12 hours of my day at school in front of my computer, plus I charge it every night, so its full in every day when I go to school. With that in mind. If your classes span all day, and you will actually be on it all day, and you dont charge often Id say air is the way to go.

Though for power/performance/looks; I too hate the silver bezel around the screen, it pulls your eyes away more compared to the black. I also dont like the tapered feel of the air. As for power and performance, the air has better graphics, but overall they will perform about the same. As for resolution, I dont understand why everyone insists on the air, the pro has 2560 x 1600 resolution, which seems better than a 1440 x 900 resolution. But do note that not all applications are supported by the 2560 x 1600 resolution. So in terms of power/performance/appearance, Id personally go with the retina.

Depending on your needs, wants and uses. I hope we have provided enough information for you to make a decision.

17. munakib macrumors 6502

I hated the silver bezel as well when I got my 13" Air in July 2012 - so I instantly bought this,

http://www.precioustore.us/macbook-air-13inch/air-13-black.html

Its a perfect glossy black bezel cover, I just simply love it...makes my Air look more professional.