New 13" futureproofed for newer software?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chkenwing, Apr 13, 2010.

1. chkenwing macrumors regular

As like most of us on the forums who were waiting a refresh on the 13" to be much more than it actually ended up being.

This brings the question: Will it be powerful enough for software that's to come in the future?

As far as I know, CS5 is going/has been released and that sort of program is quite heavy and requires a bit of power from the laptop.

Obviously, I know the C2D is 4 year old technology, but would that stop it from running new software? What about future OSX releases?

I mean, if it's any help, I'm still using an AMD XP 2500 with 1Gb of RAM and it runs pretty quick and fast. :p

2. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Of course it is future proof for future software , but as a computer it is never future proof.

3. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

I've thought about this some too and I guess it boils down to the fact that nothing is future proof. Someday it will not run the software that you want to run... the important thing is how long you want it to not be obsolete. I am using an original 2006 Macbook with a 32 bit CoreDuo processor. For a 4 year old computer, it still does a great job of running most apps (slower than I'd like, yes, but it can still run them). It is just now reaching the point where software might not run on it (according to tech specs, at least). I imagine the next release of OS X will drop support for 32 bit processors, so at that point I will consider my machine truly obsolete for my needs... although it will still run fine and I'm sure someone else may put it to use.

So, getting to the point... you should be able to get at least 3-5 years of good use out of the new 13". I'm planning on buying one too.

4. chkenwing thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I guess.

I mean non-Mac laptops are still sporting 32bit. I think it will be a while before 32bit becomes absolutely obselete and only 64bit will be used.

That said, I'm not much of a software freak as with me, it's more to do with "Does it do what I want it to do?" If yes, then I don't see no need to upgrade to new software (Unless it's security updates of course, but they're a different matter)

I guess I'm more intrigued at how well it will run HD videos (like youtube considering YT are now starting to really milk the HD streaming for what it's worth)

5. enberg macrumors regular

While it's true that the i5/7 are the new hotness, and despite the hue and cry of all of us here the C2Ds in the 13 are still pretty damned capable.