Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
And here is another a bit further along in the encode.

Toasty and loud.

Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 12.13.23 PM.png

EDIT: And heres another about 20 more minutes into it.

Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 12.33.38 PM.png

EDIT 2: And here we are at the end.

Screen Shot 2011-07-24 at 12.56.44 PM.png

Last edited:

Wrongshui

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
So... after using my 13" ultimate for a few days... it runs around 120-130F at all times in a house that is always 70F. Fans only at 2k RPM, but this heat is with only 1 firefox browser open using 2%CPU... nothing else running.

Is this normal? Seems it should be lower.

At any rate, I'll likely being going for the i5 256 off macmall and sending this one back, with tax, end up saving $300 or so.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
So... after using my 13" ultimate for a few days... it runs around 120-130F at all times in a house that is always 70F. Fans only at 2k RPM, but this heat is with only 1 firefox browser open using 2%CPU... nothing else running.

At any rate, I'll likely being going for the i5 256 off macmall and sending this one back, with tax, end up saving $300 or so.

Let the computer run all day. Might need to index itself. That was my problem. Once that was done, everything is much better. Your fan speed seems about right too. Keep in mind Firefox might to be using Lion to the best of its ability. Sure it would work, but not like it could be.

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008

Please do keep us updated if this continues or if it sorts itself out with time as happened to apple expert

macgrl

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
It will. Just be patient. :)

:)

Are the speed of fans connected to the temp as in they will automatically speed up as the temp goes up?

I have smcfancontrol set to default on my mbp so i assume that this means that it lets the mbp sort itself out. I can also ramp up the fans manually. Is that recommeded. this is something that i would install on my mba

Last edited:

mwei

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
I also hear noise with my 2011 13" MBA i5 128GB even when it's idling. However, the noise is not constantly on. I am guessing it has to do with indexing of the hard drive although I thought SSD should be really quiet in the absence of moving parts.

Is there a way to check when os x is indexing? I'd like to find out whether mine has a defect and exchange it while I still can. Thanks!

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
:)

Are the speed of fans connected to the temp as in they will automatically speed up as the temp goes up?

I have smcfancontrol set to default on my mbp so i assume that this means that it lets the mbp sort itself out. I can also ramp up the fans manually. Is that recommeded. this is something that i would install on my mba

I leave all the settings at default. Sometimes the temp will get about 75C before the fan even goes about 2k rpm. It seems like this is pretty normal with these processors. Lately I've been hovering around 45-50C and 2k rpm, unless I do a heavy import then the fan will kick in.

iumylime

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
hi apple expert,

would you say the temperature is similar between the i5 and the i7 now (after all the indexing and what not). the area next to be "ESC" buttom is really hot.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
hi apple expert,

would you say the temperature is similar between the i5 and the i7 now (after all the indexing and what not). the area next to be "ESC" buttom is really hot.

Yes they are very similar. I'm currently using it right now (i7) and my wife is here doing her work and she's currently at 41C. Just using word. I'm at 44 using Safari and Mail. I think that's pretty similar, correct? Both fans are under 2k at the moment.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Besides I wouldn't spend 1700 on a machine I wasn't happy with, when the i5 is less. My i7 isn't going anywhere. :D

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Yes they are very similar. I'm currently using it right now (i7) and my wife is here doing her work and she's currently at 41C. Just using word. I'm at 44 using Safari and Mail. I think that's pretty similar, correct? Both fans are under 2k at the moment.

Do the fans kick in sooner on your i7 compared to the i5 when putting them under equal load?

(Wish someone could do the same test with the 11" MBA!)

codyc1515

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2008
Darn, now this thread's got me worried. I'm looking to buy an i5 "13 though.. So maybe I shouldn't be. Because no one's having problems with that, right?
I got the MBA 13" i5 (128GB) and I have only noticed the fans power up once, and it was going full on. This was after really hammering it with some games on High Detail :cool:

rbn

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
hi,
what application is being used to monitor temps. I quite like this view.

Thanks

So I decided to see just how hot I could get the Air. I downloaded VLC 64-Bit and Handbrake 64-Bit. Hooked up my Apple Superdrive and popped in Seven on DVD.

I choose the default iPad settings and started the encode. Look at these temps after about a minute.

View attachment 295713

Definitely not quite while doing this. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.