New 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina (with Haswell Processor) vs ChromeBook Pixel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by acore, Oct 26, 2013.

?

New 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina (with Haswell Processor) vs ChromeBook Pixel

Poll closed Nov 2, 2013.
  1. New 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina (with Haswell Processor)

25 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. ChromeBook Pixel

5 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. acore, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

acore macrumors member

acore

I recently purchased and returned the 13-inch MacBook Air (1.7Ghz i7 / 8GB memory / 512 GB Flash Storage), biggest complaints with the MacBook Air was:

1. poor screen resolution: only 1440 x 900 resolution - pixelation was clearly evident and annoying

2. Poor keyboard quality: keys kept popping off with normal typing (could have been a fluke)

3. Too sharp: don't want to induce carpel tunnel syndrome

4. anodized aluminum

5. No LTE

Things I liked about the MacBook Air

1. size

2. lightweight

3. OS X

4. anodized aluminum

5. processor speed

6. battery life

7. Customer Support - this is a big factor missing with Google, No Google Stores like the Apple Stores

So I am considering either the ChromeBook Pixel or the newest 13-inch MacBook with Retina (with Haswell Processor)

I am using specs from the MacBook Air as a baseline for specs, I should also mention I am a longtime Chromebook user so my computer using habits are most like a Chrome OS user. Currently typing this on my old duct-taped CR-48. :) ...yet I also own a iMac so I am at home and happy with both OS X & Chrome OS.

MBA - 1.7Ghz i7 / 8GB memory / 512 GB Flash Storage / 2.96lbs / 1440 x 900 resolution $1,749
    MBP/wR - 2.8Ghz i7 / 8GB memory / 512 GB Flash Storage / 3.46lbs / 2560 x 1600 at 227 PPI $1,879 ....$130 more, 1/2 lb heavier
    CBP - 1.8Ghz i5 / 64 GB memory / 1 TB free storage / 3.35lbs / 2560 x 1700, at 239 PPI $1,449 ...$300 less expensive then MBA, 0.39 lb heavier

Size and weight are essentially the same within a 1/2 lb, all are made of anodized aluminum. With both the MBPwR & the CBP I would get better screen quality and lose the knife edge of the MBA. The keyboard on the MBPwR would essentially be the same as the MBA, but again the keys popping off may have been a fluke?

Bonus on CBP - touch screen & LTE

What is most important to me:

1. Screen Quality (CBP is slightly better)
    2. Weight (CBP is slightly lighter then MBPwR)
    3. Processor Speed (MBPwR is best)
    4. Battery Life (may be better in the MBPwR) - battery life is actually not that important to me

If the ChromeBook Pixel came with the latest Haswell Processor this would be a no-brainer, as it would solve both the processor speed and battery life aspect

Also, Customer Support is a big factor missing with Google, No Google Stores like the Apple Stores, I realize that the ChromeBook Pixel is a Google flagship product much like the Nexus One was to get manufactures on board. I still own 2 Nexus Ones, and currently use one. The MacBook Pros with Retina are definitely more a consumer driven production and delivery product.

Screen Quality/weight/Chrome OS (bonus LTE & touch screen) vs Processor Speed/Battery Life/OS X?

For me the difference in OS's is insignificant as a Chrome OS-like user there is not much I use in OS X that I don't use with Chrome OS. Also, since I usually just put the MacBook in sleep mode the benifit of a fast boot time in Chrome OS is also not a determining factor.

Basically, I am a consumer on the fence: ChromeBook Pixel vs New 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina (with Haswell Processor)? and since I want to make my purchase fairly soon (within 2 - 3 days) I don't have the luxury of time for Google to release a ChromeBook Pixel 2.0 with the latest Haswell Processor.

2. lewdvig macrumors 65816

yeah, I am sticking to the actual computer versus paying money for a portal into Google's advertising scheme.

3. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

You can have a space opened up on you rMBP that could operate just like the Chromebook Pixel. Then you can have the rest of your computer. Easy choice. The MBA is a great computer by the way. Keys popping off? You are either The Hulk, or you got a jacked up MBA.

4. acore thread starter macrumors member

acore

It was actually just one key that kept popping off, I figured it was just a fluke but quite annoying none-the-less.

5. Agent-P, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Personally I could never use a chromebook as my only device. But from your usage habits, the fact that you've been using a chromebook, and that you have an iMac as a secondary computer, I would say you could get by just fine on the Pixel.
    Your posts sounds to me like you like both OS X and ChromeOS in different regards, but you seem to favour ChromeOS a tad more. My official vote is for the Pixel. (though since this is an Apple centric site, you'll probably be getting more votes for the rMBP)

6. Benjamin99 macrumors member

This!

7. kunai macrumors regular

This isn't a fair comparison. The MacBook is a computer for today and tomorrow, while the Pixel is a computer from the next century.

It just doesn't fit in with many people's current digital lifestyles. The cheaper Chromebooks make sense, but the Pixel doesn't even have Haswell.

8. acore thread starter macrumors member

acore

Thanks for your sincere, cordial and honest input.

What it really boils down to is Haswell Processor vs No Haswell Processor.

----------

After a lot of careful consideration, I decided to buy the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina.