new 13 inch mbp good enough for editing hd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dcac, Feb 23, 2011.

1. dcac macrumors newbie

I have a 2009 unibody macbook pro. 2.53 ghz c2d 4 gb ram and 512 mb 9400/9600 gt video card. From what I've seen the sandy bridge processors are real good compared to my aging cd2 processor but I don't know how great the new graphics card is supposed to be judging by the specs that were posted earlier. Would it be worth it to sell mine and get the new 13 inch? i mainly edit dslr footage with fcp and premiere cs5. do light grading as well with magic bullet.

2. simsaladimbamba

If the footage you edit is using a proper editing codec like ProRes or AIC (or DNxHD for Avid MC), then the current, or even last or the one before that, generation of Macs is able to edit HD. But if you don't transcode the footage and leave it as it is, using the H264 codec, which is NOT meant for editing, but for distribution, then you should get the fastest CPU you can afford, as H264 is very CPU taxing, something proper editing codecs are not.

3. dcac thread starter macrumors newbie

oh ok. i used to transcode to prores LT but i've been trying out premiere lately and it has saved a lot of time without having to transcode. but my magic bullet denoiser plugin seems to crash premiere a lot so i've been using fcp for more important projects. I guess I'll see what the new mbps have to offer with results in the upcoming weeks.