New 13 inch MBP Hard Drive Click Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tudeski, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Tudeski macrumors member

I just bought a new 13 inch macbook pro. While i was calibrating the battery i heard a slight click....I thought it was just me at the time and didn't think anything of it. I heard it again 10 minutes later. I am now hearing it when i use the machine very, very quit, and not totally consistent with time or anything else.

Just got this machine on Thursday morning. Suggestions? Is this machine ok, or should I bring it back tot he store I purchased it from?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

2. nufanec macrumors regular

Where on the MacBook did the noise come from? It sounds like the sudden motion sensor making the hard drive heads park.

The MacBook Pros are fitted with a sudden motion sensor to provide protection to the hard drive that is quite often (at least in my case) a bit over exuberant at times - often I find that even small movement can cause the drive heads to park and produce a clicking noise. It can be annoying at times, but its one of those things. It's for the good.

3. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

Any faint beeps after the click? A lot of people are having this issue with the new 7200 drives, like me. They are working on a fix supposedly.

4. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

5. Tudeski thread starter macrumors member

It seems to be coming from bottom right of the keyboard (the part closest to you, on the right, where the arrows are).

Does that make sense? It does click when I move it. That might be it. No beeps after it clicks though. That is a protection thing?

Man, THIS FORUM IS BETTER THAN CALLING APPLE! :)

ps--what happens if it does beep after the hard drive heads park?--is that problematic?