new 13 inch mbp overheating?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bmms8, Jun 28, 2009.

1. bmms8 macrumors 68020

hey everyone, i just got my new 13 inch mbp and ive been using it for a couple hours now. it seems to me that it is over heating a little bit but i am not sure. i have attached my istat temps. i am just running safari and mail. my battery is fully charged but i am wondering why my battery level shows only 3.5 hours if i unlpug the charger. is this normal? should i break in my battery somehow? thanks in advance.

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Are the fans running? Don't see your temps. if posted. Is spotlight indexing?
    That'll make you think somethings wrong right off the bat and it takes a while with a larger drive.

3. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

hey sorry here it is. also i am not to sure if spotlight is indexing? i use quicksilver though and have installed. i have also used cocktail and ran that one time to repair any persmissions and what not.

hard drive is at 37 degrees. fan is at 3717.

Attached Files:

4. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

5. ljx718 macrumors 6502

your cpu IS pretty warm with your fans running that much. are you sure youre not on a flash heavy site or something?

6. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

yea i am just on macrumors. the palm area is also pretty warm. how can i find out if spotlight is indexing? or any other ideas?

7. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

If there is a dot in the middle of the magnifying glass icon in the top right hand corner of your screen, spotlight is indexing.

8. bmms8 thread starter macrumors 68020

i see, thanks for the tip. but it is not indexing. it has been this hot for the past few hours. i guess i will just let it rest for the night and check it out tomorrow. hopefully it will be fine.

9. rinoajaguar macrumors newbie

definitely is a bit warm for just light browsing. my CPU hardly ever goes over 65 C with safari, itunes, and sometimes mail. my fans always go at around 2000 rpm.

I'm pretty sure your battery will be better once you calibrate, but it will not be the 7 hours that apple claims it to be

10. krazykeith250 macrumors newbie

not even bad

I wouldn't worry about that I've got my cpu up to 85˚ on my 13 inch mbp just from watching a few videos online I think the unibody makes it harder for heat to escape or somthing.

11. Bear Hunter macrumors 6502a

Bear Hunter

You need to turn your fan up. I wouldn't let my CPU go above 75 C for extended periods.

12. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I leave my 13" in clamshell mode most of the time and it is usually between 70° and 82°

13. m85476585 macrumors 65816

Don't worry about the CPU temperature, it is good up to 105C.

Check if you have any background processes using up CPU power. Open Activity Monitor and set it to show all processes. Look at the %CPU and CPU Time columns to see what is running the most. Sometimes a process like CoreAudio will get stuck at 10% for no reason, and either killing it or rebooting will fix it most of the time.

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

There's nothing wrong with those temps. Anything over 90 deg C and you start questioning, 100+ then you start worrying.

I keep my air at 80-85 deg C almost 24/7.

15. prodigee macrumors 6502a

People really need to quit worrying about the temperatures of their MBP's really temps up to about 95 are fine, after that then you can start showing some concern. But really people STOP WORRYING and making repeat threads. Your computer is fine, don't worry about it. The fans will kick in, in time and the temps will go down. Apple knew what they were doing when they made the computer trust me you are fine.