Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

urilawrence

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
I was wondering how anyone with the new 2015 13 inch rMBP is doing battery wise? I have been using mine, settings out of the box, at night to surf the net, watch some youtube and the NCAA tournament and have been getting arounf 4 hours battery life. Does this make sense? This seems light.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was wondering how anyone with the new 2015 13 inch rMBP is doing battery wise? I have been using mine, settings out of the box, at night to surf the net, watch some youtube and the NCAA tournament and have been getting arounf 4 hours battery life. Does this make sense? This seems light.
There are many factors that impact your battery life, including settings such as screen brightness, and current workload. That's why comparing to other users isn't accurate, since users have different settings and workloads, even if they have identical hardware. See the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the following link for details, including tips on how to maximize your battery life.
The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
I'm seeing excellent battery life when the CPU is idle--- around ten hours. However, if the CPU is clocking up, my battery life is cut in half. From what I have read about this chip architecture, this is normal. And I don't mind! I like having the extra power on reserve. But day to day work is giving me incredible battery life.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I've been getting close to 10 hours of light usage with mine: web browsing, e-mail, editing Office documents, doing some sheep stuff, Photoshop here and there. The battery life does go down quite a bit when I add video editing/encoding and transferring large files to the mix, but that's expected.

From what it looks like, you're streaming lots of video. If it's via Flash, then that's going to suck up quite a bit of energy. Especially if you're doing it with Chrome (as mentioned above).

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I'm seeing excellent battery life when the CPU is idle--- around ten hours. However, if the CPU is clocking up, my battery life is cut in half. From what I have read about this chip architecture, this is normal. And I don't mind! I like having the extra power on reserve. But day to day work is giving me incredible battery life.

About the same here; very happy with the battery life so far.

urilawrence

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
I've been getting close to 10 hours of light usage with mine: web browsing, e-mail, editing Office documents, doing some sheep stuff, Photoshop here and there. The battery life does go down quite a bit when I add video editing/encoding and transferring large files to the mix, but that's expected.

From what it looks like, you're streaming lots of video. If it's via Flash, then that's going to suck up quite a bit of energy. Especially if you're doing it with Chrome (as mentioned above).

Yeah, i am using Chrome and I am using Flash. I dont find safari to be as stable as chrome. How can you watch video without flash? The websites I like are all flash based (e.g. espn) Although, I did find shockwave crashing a lot yesterday.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Yeah, i am using Chrome and I am using Flash. I dont find safari to be as stable as chrome. How can you watch video without flash?

It depends on the website, but iPads and iPhones display video all the time without Flash. The site has to support HTML5.

You may want to give Safari a try again to see if the battery usage goes down.

symple84

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2009
Yeah, i am using Chrome and I am using Flash. I dont find safari to be as stable as chrome. How can you watch video without flash? The websites I like are all flash based (e.g. espn) Although, I did find shockwave crashing a lot yesterday.

Chrome isn't as optimized for Mac as Safari so it will eat through battery like crazy. I experienced this on my Air.

urilawrence

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
I didn't get a chance to really test it out yesterday, but do you guys find the hours estimate to be accurate? With 99% charge, it said it estimated i have 4:01. Is that estimated based on my historical usage of one week?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I didn't get a chance to really test it out yesterday, but do you guys find the hours estimate to be accurate? With 99% charge, it said it estimated i have 4:01. Is that estimated based on my historical usage of one week?
No, the time estimate is based on the minute-to-minute workload and power demands on your MBP. It is not a reliable indicator, since you will not maintain the same power demands through the entire time your battery is discharging. This is explained in the BATTERY LIFE FROM A CHARGE section of the FAQ I posted earlier. I encourage you to read the FAQ, as it will answer most, if not all of your battery questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.