New 13 inchMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cslmac, Jun 14, 2010.

1. cslmac macrumors newbie

i have a new MBP and i got the bare base one, right after they had the spec bumps and i want to juice up the computer a little. aka ram from 4 GB to 8gb and the hard drive to at lease 500gb. does anyone have the part numbers to do this type of stuff without going through the expensive apple store?

2. TheNewDude macrumors 6502a

There are several threads here which talk about upgrading the HDD. Seagate has a popular one and so does Hitachi. Do a quick search in the MacBook Pro forum and you'll find it.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You need any 2.5" hard drive and any 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM modules.

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I'll clarify that with any 2.5" SATA2 hard drive!

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

there is a wide variety of brands that you could use for both RAM and HDD. I have heard good things about OWC and Crucial for memory, and the Western digital scorpio blue is a nice 500 gig drive. Just curious, what are you doing that you need 8GB of RAM? That is a ton of memory, and I get by on 2 gigs.

6. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

I would invest in a new HD before ram. Unless you are doing almost impossibly crazy stuff 4 should suffice. If you have to money, get an ssd the speed bump is amazing. But they are pretty expensive usually $200 for 80 gb and $400 for 160 gb. But it'll be worth it when you are booting in 15 seconds and opening photoshop instantly. But if that is too much, try a hybrid drive or one running at a higher rpm.

7. cslmac thread starter macrumors newbie

I use fusion alot as well as multitask like crazy. :D mainly ripping movies from dvds itunes and fusion to run some windows programs. the ram is more of a want than a need. i do need a bigger hard drive though. unless of course i get my mac mini running as a server then i can get by with almost nothing. :)