New 13" MacBook Air for 3D development and light gaming ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Pewou, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Pewou macrumors newbie

Hi guys !

I'm looking to buy a Macbook to replace my Asus laptop (i5 480M 2.4 GHz, 15.6" 1366*768, 5400 rpm HD, 4 GB DDR3 1066 SDRAM), and I was wondering if the new Macbook Air released yesterday during the WWDC would suits my needs ?

I'd using it for some 3D development (using Unity 3D engine), coding, light gaming (Dota 2, Team Fortress 2...) and the basic stuff.

I was planning to go with this specs :
    - 1.7GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz)
    - 8 GB RAM
    - 256 GB Flash Storage

What do you think about it ?

2. mdapple macrumors regular

you could probably run games on low settings fairly well. medium/high settings even the HD5000 will struggle compared to a dedicated card

3. Pewou thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not planning to run very graphics intensive games on it, it would just be occasional. If I want gaming with high settings I still have my desktop PC for it. :)

4. radiohead14 macrumors 6502a

my current MBA is the mid 2011 which has the HD3000.. i can run Skyrim on medium (with mods) and Dead Space 3 on low settings pretty smoothly. those games you mentioned i believe are less demanding, so you'll def be able to run them probably on medium settings easily.

5. blabliblu macrumors member

Never go with a Macbook for gaming except the rMBP 15" which is fairly expensive for what it is.

If you take any 13" Macbook Air or Retina you'll regret it.

6. identity macrumors 6502

I have the 2012 base 13 MBA and it's fine in Unity3D which runs well on my 3-4 year old Samsung too. I recommend 8gb of ram as 4gb is not big enough and the more HD space, the better.

7. Pewou thread starter macrumors newbie

That sounds really great !
    I went on YouTube and watched some guys playing the games I mentioned and it was running very smoothly on their MBA, so I think I don't have to worry about that.

As I said, it's more for occasional light gaming, and the few feedbacks I've had 'til now are good about it. :)

I'm glad to hear it. ;) And yep I going to max up the ram !
    Regarding the HD, I think I'll stay with the basic one at 256 GB and buy an external HD where I'll put all my media files, etc.

Any others feedbacks are welcomed. :)