New 13" Macbook Pro - Deep sleeps instead of Safe Sleeps?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kloan, Jun 23, 2009.

1. kloan macrumors regular

I put my MBP to sleep. Opened the lid back up about an hour later and it was in Deep Sleep mode. I had to press the power button and wait for it to restore settings before I could do anything (greyed out screen, progress bar, etc).

Battery was still at 82%.

Anyone know what's up with this or have this happen with their computer before?

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

seems like your setting has been changed from a program (or just randomly).

download the widget "Deep sleep" from apples website, install it and click the "i" button once its all running, it will let you choose your sleep options. very handy! i often use deep sleep :)

goodluck

3. åidån Guest

New Zealand
  4. kloan thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the quick replies.

I haven't changed anything and didn't install any utilities that would alter the settings. I just installed SmartSleep to see the current settings and it was still set to the default Sleep/Hibernate.

So, just a random quirk I guess. I'll wait and see if it happens again... hopefully it's nothing serious. It shouldn't go into Deep Sleep unless there's no juice left. The fact that it did, makes me think that the battery cut out for some reason.

5. åidån Guest

New Zealand
    If it hasn't happened before, perhaps the RAM lost power while it was asleep. In SmartSleep, you should give setting the sleep setting to "smart sleep" a whirl. It sleeps a lot quicker, and you can set the battery threshold at which it deep sleeps.

6. cababah macrumors 68000

Pardon me asking, but I had no idea there were different modes of sleep. What is the default "sleep" mode on the computer? Is it deep or smart? :confused:

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

there are three kinds

quick
    normal
    deep

the default is normal (saves RAM to HD and keeps RAM powered)