New 13" MacBook Pro...Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Habitus, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I got a new 13" MacBook Pro last night and everything was going accordingly until....

This morning I notice a screen imperfection. It appears that a pixel has burnt out and is completely white!

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have AppleCare and I hate to take it back to the store. I'm using a speck case and the power support palmrest and track pad, will I lose these if I take it into a retail store or would they switch the Mac and give me a brand new one?

Lastly, I put in my old 500GB HDD, will I have to swap out the drive if I send it to AppleCare?

Thanks!

2. djharris macrumors member

If I were you, I would want it fixed, now. and they most likely will at the store. However, they may want to just give you a new one rather than fix the existing machine.

So yes, take your hard drive out and put the original in. (Yes everyone, if you're going to swap the hard drive or RAM, keep the old stuff just in case)

Not exactly sure whether or not the other extras you mentioned are attached or adhesived (?) to the computer or not and if they're hard to remove, but based on the context of your post they might be. I don't know what to say about that.

Good luck!

3. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Apple won't fix it if you don't have Applecare - it's just unfortunately the "nature of the design". I believe you need to have 6 or more dead pixels in order for a replacement that isn't under Applecare.

4. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

Since you just bought it yesterday, I'd take it back and say when you opened it and turned it on last night, there was a dead pixel.

5. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

I definitely want this fixed now. I purchased AppleCare. The worst part is I'm at work and there's a store five minutes away from me. Looks like I'll have to go home and swap the drive and come back. I'm leaving for the store soon and I'll keep you guys posted.

Let me know of any other advice

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

I don't think that's true.

I was under the impression that for the first year, your warranty=AppleCare. When the Unibodies first came out, tons of people had dead pixel issues and everyone who posted about it got theirs replaced no issue so long as you were within the first 14 days.

7. JDee macrumors 6502a

Yes - true.

8. Habitus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Whew!!!

I took my new 13" MBP to the Apple store and they tried telling me I needed to wait until a part came in. I argued and said I wanted to leave with a MBP that worked correctly. They obliged and I left happy. The only problem is I noticed a another pixel imperfection. This one is a single pixel, but it's blue. Anyone else have this problem?

It' so small I have to look for it, so I'm won't sweat it!

I love my new MacBook Pro :)

Habitus

9. AboveTheChaos macrumors regular

I am so sorry for you and I've been there. My last MBP had a dead pixel. Luckily, Apple's service was so great they took care of me both times. The thing is, their policy really is that they don't have to replace it if it's only one but if you are nice enough they will help. I had to get the manager who was very understanding and said he didn't want me to have a bad impression of my new Mac. Now, before you try returning it, you can see if you can fix it. It may only be stuck. Google around and you'll find a couple sites that you can run a loop that cycles the color. Some say it fixes their stuck pixels. Mine was dead so it didn't work but it's worth a try.