New 13" Macbook Pro Migration Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adscott, Aug 16, 2011.

1. adscott macrumors newbie

I'm a newbie and have been searching and finding too many answers to the same question. I'm trying to migrate from an my old pc which is running xp to my new macbook pro. Using Migration assistant is not working. I have the 2 computers linked with an ethernet cable. I don't really need a lot off the pc. My main concern is iTunes. I have a large library (140gb) on iTunes. The library is also on my 5th gen iPod Classic. I also have an iPhone 4 (with all my contacts). Both are synched to the PC.

Question is, since everything I need is on the iPod and iPhone, can i skip the migration and just synch the 2 of them to the new Mac?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Migration assistant only works between two macs, AFAIK, so not getting it to work is perfectly normal.

Syncing your iPhone and iPod to your new Mac will wipe them, as it doesn't have your library.

You could move everything over your home network if you own a router, the setup would require some tinkering with the network settings but would end up working.

The easiest and most hassle free way would be to use an external hard drive/enclosure, stick your old PC's hard drive in there and just copy paste your library and contacts.

Don't forget to de-authorize your PC from iTunes once you're done.

3. Mojo1 macrumors 65816

No Answer, But Here Is A Book Recommendation...

Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Snow Leopard Edition by David Pogue

http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Mac...4253/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1313555247&sr=8-4

This is an excellent book that includes a detailed primer on OS X and Macs in general as well as info on how to transfer data, etc. Pogue knows PCs and Macs inside and out. He writes clearly with minimal jargon seasoned with a sense of humor.

Order the Kindle edition and you can get immediate gratification. (There is a Kindle app for reading on your Mac/iPad... There's no need to buy a Kindle.)