New 13" Macbook Pro Specifications Doubt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by OMGitsDaYisus, Dec 14, 2016.

1. OMGitsDaYisus macrumors newbie

OMGitsDaYisus

Hello everyone. I had been thinking about having the new 13" Macbook Pro with Touch Bar. The main purpose of having this laptop is to do my schoolwork, searching on the Internet and some video editing (mainly in 2k or Full HD resolution).

I am hoping this laptop to have a long useful life, so I'd like to listen to your recommendations to see which aspects of the MacBook Pro I could upgrade so, according to my requirements, the help it to have the longest useful life possible. I also would like to know if 512 GB storage worths it.

2. leman macrumors 604

We can't tell you how much storage you should get, that is really up to you to decide. Take as much storage as you need. Otherwise, the base specs will be more then sufficient for you for years to come.

3. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

I agree, base specs should do the trick. I would consider 16GB (though personally I have 8GB).

For storage, I use a Network Attached Storage so have 256GB in my MBPro and I just dump stuff to the NAS. Photos, videos, and music, are all stored on the NAS and I pull them off as I need them.

I do my editing of documents, photos, and videos, locally to take advantage of the SSD speed, but I don't need to keep 200GB of photos on my local disc.

4. OMGitsDaYisus thread starter macrumors newbie

OMGitsDaYisus

I have a 1TB External Storage. If I am going to edit videos all the media will be there. If I don't download a lot of things in my MBPro (only an editing program, Minecraft and little productivity apps) would the 256GB worth it? Or I should upgrade to the 512 GB model?

5. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

If you can fit all the apps, programs, games, data, etc. on 256GB and still have room left over, then why not go that route and save yourself a chunk of money? Realistically no one can tell you what disk capacity will be "worth it" other than yourself, as only you know what you need and what your habits are. Add up the space of all the aforementioned programs and whatnot and judge for yourself if that would be workable.

6. thesaint024 macrumors 6502a

thesaint024

When in doubt, go bigger. You won't regret going bigger or the relatively small extra money spent in the future. But you will regret bigly if you go smaller and have no option for more. Soldered SSD.

7. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

I think the base would be fine for your needs.. The only upgrade I'd consider is Ram but 8 is probably enough unless you are going to seriously push that..

I never upgrade internal storage.. USB hard drives can be had for MUCH less and with MUCH more space... I have a Lacie USB C 4TB external drive I paid $120 for and I have a TB of Google Drive space and a TB of One Drive space..

The only way I'd consider an SSD upgrade is if you want internal storage but you are paying a very high premium for it in my opinion..

8. deliriumxy macrumors member

This years Macbook Pros are overpriced AF... get a 2015 instead... unless you just want a status symbol fashion accessory that screams to other people "hey, look over here... rob me"

9. raqball macrumors 6502a

raqball

Comparing the prices on their respective release days says otherwise.

2015 rMBP with 256GB HD = $1,499
    2016 rMBP with 256GB HD = $1,499

No doubt you can get a 2015 right now for a good price but don't kid yourself either....

The TB version is overpriced in my opinion but the base model is priced the same as the 2015..