New 13" Macbook pro - speed difference between the 2 models

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mddharma, Jun 8, 2009.

1. mddharma macrumors regular

I am currently running a Black Macbook 2.13Ghz with 3 Gb of ram and a 320 harddrive. I thought the update today to the 13" was great. However, now I am trying to decide which model - the 2.26ghz or the 2.53ghz.

I do not game on the machine nor edit (at least not now) I do run parallels and windoz to run a Sage software Act database during the day. I use InDesign and then just a standard fare of applications, albeit most of them open at once. Hence I am looking forward to running with with 4GB of ram

Here are my questions::confused:

1- coming from my black macbook what is the real speed difference I should see with either model?

2 - how much speed difference will I actually see between the 2 new models?

The reason #2 is important on either model I will swap out the standard harddrive for a 500GB one, and I can upgrade the 2.26ghz machine to 4GB of ram for $75. This would mean the 2.53ghz would be $225 more for the higher rated 2.53GHZ machine.

I am more than willing to pay that price for a speed increase I can see, and I keep thinking it would make my "windoze" side snappier.

Any comments would be welcomed.:)

2. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

You'll see a big speed difference with either one from your blackbook. Your blackbook has a really slow system bus like 667 or something while the latest machines are at 1066.

You won't see a huge speed difference between the 2 current models, but if you can afford the better processor, go for it. It'll keep it seeming speedy for a little bit longer and may help you at resale time.