New 13" MacBook Pro vs. 15"MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DrBrutie, Mar 10, 2015.

1. DrBrutie macrumors newbie

I am going nuts trying to pick after yesterday's announcement. I prefer the 15" screen and think I can live with the weight differential. However, I m concerned about the processors:

2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 Processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.4 GHz, 6 MB shared L3 cache) with 16GB RAM

compared to

2.7GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 Turbo Boost upto 3.1GHz 8GB 1866MHz LPDDR3 memory with 8GB RAM

Please help, I need to buy immediately, due to problems with my existing laptop.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

3. itsOver9000 macrumors 6502

itsOver9000

What exactly are you worried about with the processors? The 15", which you seem set to purchase, is quad-core vs. the dual-core in the 13". Quad-core will give you much more performance.

4. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

It is a Quad core vs a dual core.
    The Iris Pro is also still better than the 6100.

Batterlife is better on the 13" most likely but other than that it should be an easy decision. You can also wait for the 15" update at which point the batterylife should be similar again.

5. LaloG macrumors member

Help

Which is better... mid 2012 15" retina macbook pro vs new 13" retina mbp for photo editing? Both will be used with an external monitor during editing process. One plus for the current 13" is that I can get a 4k display.

6. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Only in applications that can take advantage of the Quad Core CPU, if anything the 13" Duel Core is slightly faster in Single Core application.

The 15" if you travel frequently can be bulky (not weight), 15" with dGPU has a poor track record of reliability, equally if you need the dGPU the 13" wont cut it. With the Retina`s scaling the physical display size is no longer such an issue I run my 13" scaled permanently.

As a rule I have always bought the 15" for the performance and display, however my last purchase was a 13" 2.8Ghz, 512SSD Retina, I am very impressed with the performance of the 13" MBPr, the 15" is much faster, however only in certain applications.

The 13" has just been revised by Apple and has far greater run time on battery. I speak from a position of owning both 13" & 15" Retina`s used for work purpose not just surfing the Web...

Q-6

7. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Go on ahead and get in on that 15" retina. If weight isn't a problem, and you're feeling the larger screen, there's no doubt you want to go on ahead and buy the bigger brother.