New 13" MBA, can't install Windows 7... stupid problems

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Yumunum, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

So I just got a 2011 13" Air, and an Apple Superdrive.

I partitioned my external hard drive, one partition being MS-DOS (FAT) format.

I plugged in my superdrive and put in Windows 7

I opened bootcamp assistant, and checked the 2nd and 3rd box, not the first one that talks about an .iso file.

I tell it to give Windows 7 50GB, partition, the mac boots up again... and i get an error message telling me something about "non-system..." and I forgot the rest of that error message... sorry :p

Anyways, I boot to OS X, go to Disk Utility, and remove the Bootcamp partition and resize Macintosh HD to fill the space again.

Try 2:

I do it all the same way, but this time I can actually boot to the Windows 7 installation... when it comes to the time for me to choose where to install it, I choose partition 4: bootcamp. But I get an error message telling me that it's not in the right format. I try clicking "format", then "next", but I get another error message saying it couldn't find a place to install it...

Try 3... 4... I still can't get it working.

Sorry that my whole post was very poorly written, I'm just kind of flustered right now over things. If anyone could give me help that would be so great, and I thank you in advance!

2. turbotoes macrumors regular

Are you trying to install seven to the external hard drive? Because you can't do that.

3. Maxi86 macrumors regular

I believe you've created the BootCamp partition from within your internal hard drive. So that's right.
    Before installing Windows 7, you should reformat BootCamp into NTFS file type.
    Go to settings and format it. That should do it.