New 13' MBP. 2.4 or 2.66 GHZ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by collegembp, Apr 19, 2010.

1. collegembp macrumors newbie

should i buy a 2.4 or 2.66? does the 2.66 really outperform the 2.4? Does it make a difference?

2. UKBeast macrumors 6502

If you can afford the 2.66 one, get the low end one with a SSD upgrade and that will cost the same.

3. collegembp thread starter macrumors newbie

get the 2.4? SSD is the ram? or the hard drive?

nvm, it's the hard drive. Would that do anything other than give it more memory (and durability)?

4. Agnel macrumors member

5. UKBeast macrumors 6502

It will not give you more memory, it will increase your bootup speed and application opening spees.

6. collegembp thread starter macrumors newbie

i want to know the difference, if any. your subjective opinion doesn't really help...

7. Danielclark macrumors newbie

The upgrade from 2.4 to 2.66 will give you a sligtly higher score in geekbench etc, but in real world performance i would not think you could feel a real difference.

What the other guy was talking about was upgrading to a SSD. a SSD is a solid state disk and is basicly a very large flash drive. It can read much faster than a conventional harddisk, and therefore improving speeds like boot time, load time on programs and such.

check these video out:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7imoemw-0Q
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odSSI_9KAkI

8. chetan6686 macrumors member

OMG guys..i am feeling very sad....:(
    Actually i had bought the previous generation MBP 13" (2.53 GHZ,4 GB Ram) on April 8th so i returned it yesterday and got the new MBP 13"(2.66 GHZ,4GB RAM)...Previously the 2.26GHz,2 GB RAM was the base model..but now the base model is 2.40Ghz and 4GB RAM!!!!After seeing the discussions out here i feel lyk an ass..i could have saved 300$..:(
    The base model and the higher model 13 " have so very less difference..For less than 100$ one cud upgrade the base model to the higher model!!
    Y did apple screw wid the higher model?????y did it had 2 put 4 GB RAM on the base model???atleast i wud have been a little happy that i had got 2 GB ram xtra on my 2.66GHz MBP 13 than that of the 2.40Ghz MBP 13"...llolzzzz:p:D:)

Newayz watz done is done..i lost my 200$ :(

9. col sandurz macrumors member

Chetan, your post was a little difficult to read. However, your point is valid. This is actually why I am pleased with the update of the 13" MBP. I was already happy with the specs of the previous version and well prepared to buy the 2.53 GHz. With the update, I can essentially get the same configuration for $300 less. On the other hand, I can't ever upgrade the processor. You did get slightly higher speed (versus slightly less) for the same money. And, don't forget you now have a better video card with the new MBP.

10. iNeed macrumors newbie

I'm a college student so I ordered the cheaper one (2.4Ghz) and upgraded the harddrive to 500GB for all my music, videos, and schoolwork. It's being shipped right now so I havent had a chance to test it but this is my first mac so I cant wait

11. chetan6686 macrumors member

Actually i wanted 2 say a lot..but was lazy to type so much...lolzzz...:p
    In a nutshell,previously(read 2009 MBP) 2.53Ghz with 4GB RAM was an attractive deal rather than a 2.26 Ghz 2 GB RAM,But now(read 2010 MBP) 2.66 GHz 4GB RAM is not as attractive than a 2.40 Ghz 4 GB RAM...
    But still i got the 2.66 Ghz one!!!! :( I went by the old school method of buying the highest processor speed machine...but all these discussions here are making me feel how stupid a decision i have taken by buying the 2.66Ghz MBP 13" !!!:confused:

12. col sandurz macrumors member

Read this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=899572

Someone compared benchmarks of the 2.4 and 2.66 to theoretical i3s that could have gone in the 13" MBP. There is a minimal difference (which is the point of the thread). What difference there is the 2.4 is at the bottom of the pack and the 2.66 is at the top. Now, what does this mean in real life use?

13. chetan6686 macrumors member

Yaa this may not be noticeable in real life applications....but Newayz thanks buddy...atleast i am happy that my 2.66Ghz one scored almost 400-odd points more than the 2.40Ghz one(yaa..i know it sounds dumb:p)...lolzz..

14. collegembp thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, that second video was extremely helpful. I think I'll have to go with the ssd after watching that.

15. tbonecrush84 macrumors newbie

I am a college graduate student that is looking to get a new 13" Macbook Pro. I use my computer for web surfing, word documents, playing music, watching movies, and viewing photos from my digital camera. It appears that SSD is a substantial upgrade but I don't want to buy machine that will be underpowered for my needs. As configured, the two model cost about the same amount.

Which would better suit me: 2.4 GHz with 128 SSD or the 2.66 GHz model?

16. vant macrumors 65816

2.4GHz with a third party SSD.