New 13" MBP airport problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kmcclung, Apr 15, 2010.

1. kmcclung macrumors newbie

So I just bought a new 2.4 ghz 13" mbp today and after taking it home I set it up and tried to get on the internet and it's slow. I have my fiancee's 2.26 ghz 17" mbp and it is blazing fast compared to it and it's on the same network (I should probably add that it's on our schools wifi where we live together and have a receiver in our couples housing). Is this a normal occurrence for it to be this slow compared to an older mbp?

I haven't been able to take it to a different network to see if maybe it's just the difference in wireless technologies but something doesn't seem right. The weirdest thing though was that I took the speakeasy speed test and the 17" got 1.63 down and .73 up and finished in a normal amount of time while the 13" got 1.85 down and .73 up and it took almost 5 minutes to complete. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is the matter? I already have to go back into the Apple store because they neglected to e-mail me my receipt but I don't really have time to sit there and have a genius look over my mbp till Saturday or Sunday. Any help that anyone provides is greatly appreciated.

2. califguy macrumors newbie

Check your DNS settings in System Pref->Network->AirPort->Advanced->DNS.

If you have any manual entries in there, other than the one your DHCP server provided, then delete them. Ideally you could try deleting all of the entries in there and then just reboot your machine once and connect to the wireless network.

Can you get to other websites, quickly ? Ir does browsing to websites in general take you a long time ? If it does, then the above fix should get things running for you.

3. King Apple macrumors regular

King Apple

or you could return it and get a 2.4 ghz i5 15"
    i have it, and its beyond fast.