New 13" MBP - Concern About Battery Life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MJNBGA, Jun 22, 2011.

1. MJNBGA macrumors regular

From coconutBattery:

Current Capacity: 5671
    Design Capacity: 5770
    98%

I just got my MacBook Pro yesterday and my battery life is 98%!? ****! :mad:

I'm worried.. This is my new MacBook Pro after all, the one that emptied my pocket but filled my heart! :D

Thanks,

Mordy

2. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

Not to hijack your thread but how did you check that, as I just got a new MBP.

Calibrate your battery and see if anything changes.

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

don't worry. be happy.
    http://guides.macrumors.com/Laptop_Battery_Guide

4. trent0n macrumors newbie

I got mine the day they came out, now I'm at 75 cycles and 91%health

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Battery health fluctuates constantly, it'll hover between 102%-96% for a bit then start slowly dropping off. Don't worry about it.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is perfectly normal for your battery health to fluctuate up and down over time. Use iStat Pro to track your battery health, among other things. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

7. MJNBGA thread starter macrumors regular

I use coconutBattery, a free app, but you can also use the iStat Pro widget. Thanks all for your responses, I guess there's nothing to worry about! :)

8. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I asked the same question when I first got my MBP. So I called apple, so that I could go directly to the source. The Genius I talked to informed me that the battery life drops a few percent rather quickly, but then stays consistent.

So, in the first few days (or weeks) you'll see your health drop off anywhere in between 4-7%, and then it will stay within that range consistently. My MacBook Pro is currently 13 weeks old, and the health is at 96% with 25 cycles. In the first few days I had it, it dropped from 98% all the way down to 92% and then slowly increased to 96%, which is where it has stayed since.

I wouldn't worry about your battery health too much. As long as the battery lasts according to apple's standards, you're fine.